Author Topic: Tyne and Wear Archives - New On-line Catalogue Now Available  (Read 420 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Tyne and Wear Archives - New On-line Catalogue Now Available
« on: Monday 13 February 23 15:11 GMT (UK) »
https://twarchives.org.uk/collection/catalogue

Thought I would just let people know a (new) on-line catalogue for Tyne and Wear Archives is now finally up and running again!  Hurrah! :D
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Tyne and Wear Archives - New On-line Catalogue Now Available
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 February 23 15:50 GMT (UK) »
Maybe it is just me - perhaps I am out of practise but I am befuddled on how to access references via this new catalogue. ???
Can someone explain how to access the Tynemouth Workhouse records (references)via this please?
Thanks

Added: It's alright I have managed to 'get in' with a part reference I know and adding an asterisk

e.g - PU.TY*
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Online Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 February 23 20:40 GMT (UK) »
Maybe it is just me - perhaps I am out of practise but I am befuddled on how to access references via this new catalogue. ???
Can someone explain how to access the Tynemouth Workhouse records (references)via this please?
Thanks

Added: It's alright I have managed to 'get in' with a part reference I know and adding an asterisk

e.g - PU.TY*

Not just you RTL, its not the most intuitive of searches and (in my opinion) it takes you all round the houses before you get to what you want to look at.

But we finally have a catalogue, so we have to be thankful for small mercies !

So, I started here:
https://twarchives.org.uk/collection/catalogue

and then clicked to access the catalogue. which got me here:

https://calmview.twmuseums.org.uk/calmview/

From there , should you know the catalogue ref (e.g. PU.TY*) then use the advanced search

But mostly we don't know the reference so

In the "Find a record" search box I entered
Tynemouth Workhouse
and on the resulting page saw an entry with the Ref No PU.TY which is billed as a "collection" under the title of Tynemouth Poor Law Union

Click on the Ref No (PU.TY) and then yet again on the next screen click on the Ref No PU.TY and
finally you get to the Hierarchy Browser ( list of what they hold)

Which, no doubt, is what you wanted as it gives a list of the various type of records , which can then be drilled down to see the reference for whichever time frame you are looking for.

Boo

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 14 February 23 08:18 GMT (UK) »
https://twarchives.org.uk/collection/user-guides-and-information

Thank you so much for this Boo.  You have explained this really well which is so helpful.
I can get the basic references now from the user guides and follow the steps you have provided.  :D
I really appreciate how you have helped me with this.

Offline Shiny1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 15 February 23 12:38 GMT (UK) »
That's great news, I've had a quick look and managed to find a couple of bits of interest.

Thanks for letting us know.

Michael
Dale (Newcastle Upon Tyne), Beck, English, Hall, Harrison, Stephenson (all from the North Shields, South Shields area), Woodger (from the Newcastle and Liss areas)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 17 February 23 08:26 GMT (UK) »
You're welcome Michael.  I am glad you have been able to find some things of interest. 
I really don't understand why this archives is lagging behind in getting back to normal as the local studies departments have been for a long time since.  I think the pre-booking and pre-ordering is a right faff! 
It is very frustrating when you are there and get a 'lead' from a record but can't follow through on your lead and order something else that might help.  No, in such a situation you have to go back home and go through the rigmarole of re-booking and ordering again.  Thank goodness I don't have to travel there from the other end of the country.
But at least having their catalogue back up feels like a step in the right direction. :)