Author Topic: Ann Jane Kilham bn 1819  (Read 213 times)

Offline Stanwix England

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Hopeless scatterbrain
    • View Profile
Ann Jane Kilham bn 1819
« on: Monday 13 February 23 21:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I'm trying to find out who was the family of Ann Jane Kilham, born approx 1819, because in 1861 she has a relative of mine visiting her, and I'm trying to work out if they are connected by a family connection.

My issue is, I'm having a hard time working out who Ann Jane's parents were.

What I know

So far, I've found Ann Jane Kilham across every census from 1851 to 1891.

I believe she died in 16th June 1897, aged about 78.

Here are the two census records that I think are most relevant.

Household schedule number 67, Piece   2350, Folio 242, Page number 19

Ann is listed as having been born in Rawclife, Yorkshire. She is described as a widow.

Mary Beck, a woman described as her mother, is living with her. She was born approx 1776, in Camblesforth, Yorkshire.

Sarah Ann, her one year old daughter is also in the household.

As present are her nephew, John Hailstone aged 9, born in Goole, and her niece Sarah A Hailstone aged 7 born in Goole.

I tried finding Mary Beck on other census records for clues, but couldn't find her.

I've followed her nephew John Hailstone forward, for the rest of his life, but he never appears on the census records with his family again - having moved to Hull by 1861.

I've followed her niece Sarah Ann forward, also for the rest of her life. She also never appears on the census records with her birth family again. She is working in domestic service in Middlesex in 1861, and eventually marries a man in Hull in 1866, and spends much of her life with him in Cheshire.

So neither the mother or the nephew and niece have given me any clues.

I did find what I thought might be the birth registration for John Hailstone. This gives his mothers maiden name as 'Fish'. But I'm not 100% confident that is the right one.

I've tried various combinations of Fish, Hailstone, Beck and Kilham to try and find a marriage record for Ann Jane, or one for the potential parent of her niece and nephew, but without any luck.

ED, institution, or vessel   8f
Neighbors   View others on page
Household schedule number   97

This is the census where she is living with her now 11 year old daughter, and has a relative of mine, Mary Cawood as a visitor.

In 1871, she has two male borders, who do not appear to be relations. So perhaps she was already taking in borders and that's what Mary Cawood, who was a widow by 1861, was doing there too?

In 1881 she is described as a sailors widow, and she has her now married daughter, son in law George Sandles and granddaughter living with her.

By 1891 she has moved and is now the resident in her son-in-laws house.

So I'm a bit stumped really. It would be nice to be able to fill in the pieces if I can.

Thank you.

;D Doing my best, but frequently wrong ;D
:-* My thanks to everyone who helps me, you are all marvellous :-*

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Ann Jane Kilham bn 1819
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 February 23 22:05 GMT (UK) »
Ann Beck married Thomas Kilham in 1842 as per freebmd

Mary Cawood was just a visitor so what basis do you have for thinking there is any biological connection to either the Beck or Kilham families?  She could just have been a family friend
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 February 23 22:12 GMT (UK) »
Baptism 18.1.1818 Rawcliffe by Goole for Ann  shows parents as Thomas & Mary nee Barker

GRO online shows Mmn as Beck on birth for John Hailstone  - presume Beck/Hailstone marriage was pre  1837 as it's not on freebmd

Oops - sorry - father was William as per reply below
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 13 February 23 22:21 GMT (UK) »

They married 19 May 1842 Snaith, St Laurence, Ann full age her father William Beck, labourer

Added

Ann Beck
Baptism date 18 Jan 1818 Rawcliffe
Father William, labourer mother Mary Barker
Record set Yorkshire Baptisms
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 13 February 23 22:34 GMT (UK) »
Where did you get a middle name of Jane from?  If it's from the 1897 death reg - it's the wrong one - see below

Baptism - Ann
Marriage - Ann
1851-1891 censuses -  Ann

1891 living in the Sculcoates RD so not the 1897 death - died 1899 aged 80 & as Ann

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 13 February 23 22:47 GMT (UK) »

GRO online shows Mmn as Beck on birth for John Hailstone  - presume Beck/Hailstone marriage was pre  1837 as it's not on freebmd

Is this his baptism

John Hailstone
Notes 3 Wks 4 Days
Baptism 2 Jan 1842  Goole Snaith Chapels
Father  John  mother Sarah
Residence Goole
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Stanwix England

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Hopeless scatterbrain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 13 February 23 23:24 GMT (UK) »

Mary Cawood was just a visitor so what basis do you have for thinking there is any biological connection to either the Beck or Kilham families?  She could just have been a family friend

Thank you both for your help, this has been really useful.

I don't have any basis to think there was one, that's what I was trying to work out. It could be that Mary Cawood was just a family friend visiting, or perhaps was really a border, as Ann took in borders later on.

Looking at the information you have both provided me with here, so far there is no obvious connection between the two families, so it looks more like it was just a friendship.
;D Doing my best, but frequently wrong ;D
:-* My thanks to everyone who helps me, you are all marvellous :-*