Author Topic: John Miles baptised St George's Lutheran Church, Whitechapel 1779  (Read 211 times)

Offline carolynaustralia

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Miles baptised St George's Lutheran Church, Whitechapel 1779
« on: Monday 13 February 23 23:39 GMT (UK) »
John Miles, born 22 April 1779, baptised 2 May 1779 at St George's, Little Allie Street, Goodman's Fields (Lutheran). Parents John & Elisabetha Miles dwelling in Brick Lane, Spitalfields. Sponsors Joham Friederich Schaffer, Henrich Ernst, Anna Ernst, Christina Barbara Schaffer.
Is this my 4x Great Grandfather? I'm curious as it could explain my as yet unaccounted for 7% German DNA. I can't find any other records for Miles family (using Ancestry) from this church. Why would the child be baptised in a Lutheran church? Was his mother Elisabetha of German origin? I've tried exploring the Schaffer & Ernst sponsors but haven't been able to make any connections. Could the father "John Miles" have anglicised a German name? Was this common? Is there any way to find out? Any suggestions or insights appreciated.

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Miles baptised St George's Lutheran Church, Whitechapel 1779
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 14 February 23 00:43 GMT (UK) »
Johanne Frederick and Christina Barbara Schaffer were husband and wife. They married in 1764 in Whitechapel, and there a few baptisms for children to them.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline carolynaustralia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 14 February 23 01:02 GMT (UK) »
Johanne Frederick and Christina Barbara Schaffer were husband and wife. They married in 1764 in Whitechapel, and there a few baptisms for children to them.
Thank you Neale, I found their marriage record. It's a shame it's so faint and Christina's maiden name is indecipherable... "Poveror" drew a blank. There's also a word that's been added with a ^ - could this be her surname? "Fatersh"? Also no records for this. I can't work out what else it could be. Appreciate anyone else's take on this. If I knew her surname it might be helpful - maybe Elisabetha and she were sisters but then again maybe not.

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 14 February 23 01:08 GMT (UK) »
I think it is likely that the Schaffers and / or the Ernst are somehow related to Elisabeth who married John Miles .
I would look at all of their children’s baptisms to see if there is a sponsor named Elisabetha.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 14 February 23 01:57 GMT (UK) »
I found their marriage record. It's a shame it's so faint and Christina's maiden name is indecipherable... "Poveror" drew a blank.
It has been written as Christina PAVERER on the baptism of her daughter Catherine Barbara Schaffer in 1764.

Offline carolynaustralia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 14 February 23 02:14 GMT (UK) »
I found their marriage record. It's a shame it's so faint and Christina's maiden name is indecipherable... "Poveror" drew a blank.
It has been written as Christina PAVERER on the baptism of her daughter Catherine Barbara Schaffer in 1764.
Thank you Neale, Paverer/ Povorer, neither bring up any useful records. It sounds like a French name. Anyway, thank you for your help, I'll keep digging.

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 14 February 23 02:52 GMT (UK) »
John and Elizabeth Miles of Brick Lane have children baptised in St Mary Whitechapel in the decade preceding the baptism you posted at the start of this thread.
So not all children were baptised in the Lutheran church.

Offline carolynaustralia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 14 February 23 05:47 GMT (UK) »
John and Elizabeth Miles of Brick Lane have children baptised in St Mary Whitechapel in the decade preceding the baptism you posted at the start of this thread.
So not all children were baptised in the Lutheran church.
Thank you. I have found baptism records from St Mary, Whitechapel for 1. George Miles 9 Apr 1769, John & Elizabeth Miles, Buckle Street, 2. Elizabeth Miles 27 Dec 1770, John & Elizabeth Miles, Wentworth Street, 3. John Miles 12 Jan 1772, John & Elizabeth Miles, Brick Lane, 4. William Miles 10 Jun 1774, John & Elizabeth Miles, Brick Lane. There's also a marriage record from St Mary Whitechapel for a John Miles & Elizabeth Keates, married 9 Feb 1766. I was inclined to think that the four children belonged to this couple and that the John Miles baptised at the Lutheran church in 1779 belonged to a different John & Elizabeth, albeit that they also lived on Brick Lane. There were many John Miles' in Middlesex/ London and they all seemed to marry Elizabeths or Anns. I guess it's possible that their first John, b 1772 died and they reused the name for their son b 1779 but why did they baptise him in the Lutheran church - Miles & Keates are not German names. I'm hoping to find something that supports (or quashes) my theory that they are a separate family, one with German origins.