Author Topic: EAGLETON, JAMES and family  (Read 3434 times)

Offline ann belanger

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
EAGLETON, JAMES and family
« on: Wednesday 07 September 05 17:38 BST (UK) »
JAMES EAGLETON (whose birth date I do not know but whose spouse was Mary MacIlroy was born about 1795 likely in Tipp as well but at least in Ireland).  James and Mary had at least 3 children that I have found so far:

Mary Jane 1823
Margaret   birthdate unknown  and
Catherine 1830

They appear to have been protestant yet Catherine was baptized in the catholic church.

The family came to Canada before the children were born and Mary and James MAY have actually been married in Canada. Here is what I know of them after they are in Canada:

The earliest record I have for an Eagleton is on the 1840 census of Wolford Twsp in Ontario. There, I found HUGH EAGLETON with 2 male children and 1 female child as well as a wife. It may well be that this is James' father and family living in Merrickville in 1840. I have not proved this as yet.

In the 1846 report of the Licensing Commissioner for Johnstown District James Eagleton owns an inn and is listed as:
Eagleton, James  Merrickville. Has 6 rooms, 5 beds, Stabling for 6 horses, yard, shed all in good order.
This was reproduced in the Leeds and Grenville Genealogy Society newsletter of July/Aug 2004.

James was the proprietor of  the Exchange Hotel in Merrickville. There was a William Eagleton who was also an innkeeper in Lambeth, Middlesex at the same time. I don't know if there is a relationship

In the 1851 census of Wolford, Grenville Distr 104, James Eagleton is listed as a labourer, Irish and living in a 1 1/2 story frame house.

In addition to the children shown, there may have been a daughter Elizabeth Eagleton but she died as a spinster at age 50 in 1883

Daughter Catherine  married Robert Reid on Sept 15 1849 in Merrickville. The witnesses were Margaret Eagleton (actually spelled Egleton in both cases) and James Aicheson.

In the 1861 census for Merrickville, James is 65 and an innkeeper (District 96, page 8)

It would seem that James died before 1863 since he is not in  the church register after that date. He definitely died before his wife did in 1884 in Merrickville

If anyone can shed any light on any of these eagletons and where the family came from in Tipp, I would appreciate it greatly.

ANN

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: EAGLETON, JAMES and family
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 14 May 06 19:52 BST (UK) »
Hiya Ann,

Your message says that in 1846 James Eagleton was shown as the proprietor of  the Exchange Hotel in Merrickville. You also say that in 1861 he was shown as an innkeeper.

Are you sure that the James Eagleton shown as a labourer in 1851 was the same guy?
Who do the records show as owning the Exchange Hotel in 1851? 

All the Best,

Chris