Author Topic: Thomas William Hunter  (Read 480 times)

Offline andrewp91

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas William Hunter
« on: Wednesday 15 February 23 16:15 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for information on the Birth parents of Thomas William Hunter who was born around 1846 in Shadwell or Newport, please.

He does mention on the marriage certificate to his 2nd wife in 1885, that his father is William Hunter. Looking into Fracnis and Jane's children, I see a William Hunter, but he seems to have been born in 1841. This would not be possible for Thomas to be his son when William was 6 years old. I am struggling on knowing more about Francis and Jane Hunter (Thomas's grandparents).

Note; There is a tree suggesting that a Elizabeth Hunter is his mother? I am unsure if this is accurate as there is nothing to suggest this from what I can see.

The information that I do have on Thomas is as followed.

1851 Census (Piece; 2358, Folio; 407, Page number; 10) - Thomas is registered here as the Grandson of Francis and Jane Hunter. His age is 4 years old which would make the year of birth around 1847. His place of birth is registered 'Shadwell'. (unable to read street name)

1861 Census (Missing Piece, Folio, Page number) - Thomas is registered here as the Grandson of Francis and Jane Hunter. His age is 14, which gives a year of birth around 1847. His place of birth is registered 'Shadwell'. His occupation is a Joiner (looks to be working with his grandfather). (unable to read street name)

1st Marriage in the Oct-Nov-Dec of 1866 in 'Howden, Yorkshire East Riding' to an Amethe Hudson.

1871 Census (Piece; 4454, Folio; 27, Page number; 3) - Thomas starts his family with Amethe with the occupation as a Joiner. His age here is 24 which again suggests the year of birth is around 1847. He, however, registers his birthplace as 'Newport'. Living at 24 Pratt[?] Street

1881 Census (Piece; 4447, Folio; 38, Page number; 23) - Thomas is a 34-year-old man, working as a Carpenter + Joiner. His birthplace is now registered as 'Shadwell' again.

2nd Marriage on 23 Feb 1885 in Bradford, Yorkshire to Mahalath Rushworth. She is 34 years old, and he is 38. Her dad is Joseph Rushworth[?]. His father is registered as William Hunter, a carpenter. Thomas is registered his address as 217 Exeter Street. The witnesses are Joseph Newton[?], William Coates[?] and Joseph Rushworth.

1891 Census (Piece; 3624, Folio; 125) - Thomas, living at 217 Exeter Street is a 44-year-old Joiner. His birthplace is now changed to 'Newport, Yorkshire' again.
+ 1891 Post Office Bradford Directory. Thomas William Hunter a Joiner at 217 Exeter Street.

1901 Census (Piece; 4152, Folio; 103, Page number; 25) - Thomas changes his birthplace back to 'Shadwell, Yorkshire'. He is a 54-year-old working as a Joiner + Carpenter. He is registered as a 'Widow' (His 1st wife, Amethe, died in 1884). (unable to read street name)

1911 Census (Piece; 26725) - Now living on his own at 212 Exeter Street. Thomas is a 64-year-old widow, he is a retired Carpenter + Joiner who was born in 'Shadwell, Yorkshire'. 

Death registered Jan-Feb-Mar quarter of 1917 in Bradford.

Thomas William Hunter and Amethe Husdon had 10 Children from what I can see.
1). Ann Elizabeth Hunter - Born about 1867, Yorkshire.
2). Frances Mary Hunter - Born about 1869, Bradford, Yorkshire - Died Sep 1929, Bradford, Yorkshire.
3). Mary Jane Hunter - Born about 1870, Bradford, Yorkshire.
4). William Hunter - Born about 1872, Bradford, Yorkshire.
5). Thomas Hunter - Born 9 May 1874, Bradford, Yorkshire - Died 24 Jul 1925, Grimsby, Lincolnshire. 1st Marriage to Fanny Walton on 28 Mar 1897, Great Grimsby and 2nd Marriage to Ellen Chantler in Jan-Feb-Mar quarter of 1912 in Grimsby, Lincolnshire.
6). Francis Hunter - Born about 1876, Bradford, Yorkshire.
7). Amethe Hunter - Born about 1878, Bradford, Yorkshire.
8 ). Sam Hunter - Born about 1881, Bradford, Yorkshire.
9). Herbert Hunter - Born about 1882, Bradford, Yorkshire.
10). Albert Hunter - Born about 1884, Bradford, Yorkshire.

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas William Hunter
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 15 February 23 16:35 GMT (UK) »
Sorry about this, but perhaps Thomas did not know who his father was  :-\

His marriage - 14 November 1866 - he says his father is Thomas Hunter, a Joiner.
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline andrewp91

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 15 February 23 16:42 GMT (UK) »
Sorry about this, but perhaps Thomas did not know who his father was  :-\

His marriage - 14 November 1866 - he says his father is Thomas Hunter, a Joiner.

Does this record happen to have an address and the witnesses at all, please? Also the father of Amethe along with her address and fathers occupation, please?

Kindest Regards
Andrew

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 15 February 23 17:05 GMT (UK) »
Marriage venue was Eastrington.  Thomas's address given as Newport, and Amathe's as Hive.  Image is available on FindMyPast.  Thomas is said to be a "Minor" and Amathe is "full age", her father being Edmund and I think his occupation is "Farmer".  Witnesses are Mary Thorpe and Richard ?Pickhaver?

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline andrewp91

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 15 February 23 17:17 GMT (UK) »
Marriage venue was Eastrington.  Thomas's address given as Newport, and Amathe's as Hive.  Image is available on FindMyPast.  Thomas is said to be a "Minor" and Amathe is "full age", her father being Edmund and I think his occupation is "Farmer".  Witnesses are Mary Thorpe and Richard ?Pickhaver?
Thank you.

If anyone else might notice anything to suggest (or to find out) who his parents might be I would appreciate all input made. I do agree, at the moment I am under the assumption that he did not really know who his father was, although I find this really weird as he knew who his grandfather was.

I am trying to find out all of Francis and Jane's children as I cannot seem to make sense of their offspring or their life at the moment. Hopefully, someone with a clear head might be able to help with it.

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 15 February 23 17:34 GMT (UK) »
Purely my thoughts, nothing to really substantiate them - before his marriage we only see Thomas living with his grandparents, Francis and Jane = 1851 and 1861.  A possibility is that Thomas might be the son of Elizabeth Hudson, aged 26  :-\ as per 1851 census entry in the same household.  But   :-\ :-\ :-\ :-X
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline andrewp91

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 15 February 23 17:40 GMT (UK) »
Purely my thoughts, nothing to really substantiate them - before his marriage we only see Thomas living with his grandparents, Francis and Jane = 1851 and 1861.  A possibility is that Thomas might be the son of Elizabeth Hudson, aged 26  :-\ as per 1851 census entry in the same household.  But   :-\ :-\ :-\ :-X

I agree. What I find suspicious is that I cannot seem to find any sort of record of his birth at all. Shadwell and Newport seem so far away from each other in terms of Birthplace.

I keep wondering if I the information I have are on two different Thomas William Hunters also because I can't seem to make any sense of it lol.

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 15 February 23 17:43 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, I was only working on the information which you supplied  :-X
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline andrewp91

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 15 February 23 18:58 GMT (UK) »
Looking into Francis Hunter and trying to locate a marriage with a 'Jane'.

I stumbled across 2 possible marriages. One to a Jane Gibson and another to a Jane Dodsworth

First Possible Marriage
Francis Hunter to Jane Gibson
On 18 Oct 1822 in Sculcoates All Saints, Sculcoates, Yorkshire, England

2nd Possible Marriage
Francis Hunter to Jane Dodsworth
On 20 Mar 1826 in Hackness, Yorkshire, England

There are 13 baptism records for 'Hunter' with the father as Francis and the mother as Jane.
I believe I have identified which baptism records go to the marriages by finding out their locations and measuring the distance from marriage to baptism locations, as the distance between Sculcoats and Hackness (marriage locations) in Yorkshire being a fair bit away. (I have colour coded what I believe are the correct families for the parents.

1). Jemima Hunter - 30 January 1823 - Sutton, Yorkshire, England
2). Elizabeth Hunter - 12 December 1824  - Hook, Yorkshire, England
3). Ellen Hunter - 23 July 1826 - Hackness, North Yorkshire, England
4). Sarah Hunter - 27 May 1827 - Hook, Yorkshire, England
5). Jane Ann Hunter - 5 January 1829  - Lastingham, North Yorkshire, England
6). Samuel Hunter - 10 January 1830 - Eastrington, Yorkshire, England
7). Mary Hunter - 17 April 1831 - Eastrington, Yorkshire, England
8 ). Ann Hunter - 22 September 1833 - Eastrington, Yorkshire, England
9). Robert Hunter - 21 March 1834  - Ebberston, North Yorkshire, England
10). Jane Hunter - 31 January 1836  - North Cave, Yorkshire, England
11). Frances Hunter - 30 July 1837 - North Cave, Yorkshire East Riding, England
12). William Thomas Hunter - 24 January 1841 - North Cave, Yorkshire East Riding, England
13). Jane Ellen Hunter - 25 August 1844 - North Cave, Yorkshire East Riding, England