Author Topic: St Peters Collegiate School, Eaton Square (Circa 1840)  (Read 175 times)

Offline PaulJC

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
St Peters Collegiate School, Eaton Square (Circa 1840)
« on: Wednesday 15 February 23 17:11 GMT (UK) »
I am researching a man who joined the East India Company in 1842 and gave as his former school, St Peters Collegiate School, Eaton Square, London.

My searches only find a primary school of that name which did not open until the 1870's.

I know this school existed as I have a copy of a letter from its headmaster dated 1841.

Any information would be highly appreciated.

Paul
I lived in Ardwick, Manchester in the early 1960s as a small child and much travelling of the world has now led me to want to know more about my roots. Carter, Beckwith, Connolly, Heron and Kelly are all names that form part of my family tree.

Offline QueenoftheWest

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: St Peters Collegiate School, Eaton Square (Circa 1840)
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 15 February 23 17:32 GMT (UK) »
My searches only find a primary school of that name which did not open until the 1870's.

Hi Paul,

The website for St. Peter's Collegiate School, Eaton Square says that "the present building was erected in 1872", not that it wasn't opened until then.

The Bishop and Duchess of Cornwall visited the school in 2015 to mark the school's bicentenary.

Quite a few mentions of the school in various English newspapers around the 1840s. I have included a snippet from a paper published in 1846.

Queenie  :)
Fidler - West Ilsley, Berkshire
Hamlin/Hamlyn - Long Sutton & Martock, Somerset
Head - Marlborough & Alton Priors, Wiltshire
Minson - Kingstone, Somerset/Symondsbury, Dorset
Owsley - Buckland St Mary, Somerset
Pyke - (West) Weeke/Wick, Pewsey, Wiltshire
Salisbury - Dowlish Wake/West Dowlish, Somerset

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 15 February 23 20:41 GMT (UK) »
The Times, 1 Aug 1850
"St Peter's Collegiate School, Eaton Square, London - This school was established in 1830 by a number of gentlemen and professional men of the neighbourhood becoming proprietors to afford a sound classical and mathematical education on the principles of the Church of England to their sons and relatives ..."

Offline PaulJC

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 16 February 23 09:18 GMT (UK) »

Thanks All,

That nformation gives me a pointer for some more searching.
I lived in Ardwick, Manchester in the early 1960s as a small child and much travelling of the world has now led me to want to know more about my roots. Carter, Beckwith, Connolly, Heron and Kelly are all names that form part of my family tree.