Author Topic: Samuel Foot of Mappowder  (Read 211 times)

Offline TheOnlyRogueAngel

• RootsChat Member
  • Bringing order to utter chaos.
    • View Profile
Samuel Foot of Mappowder
« on: Thursday 16 February 23 17:57 GMT (UK) »
Samuel Foot was born in 1807 in Mappowder, Sturminster, Dorset. He was an Agricultural Labourer.

In the 1841 Census he is married to Ann.
In the 1851 Census he is married to Elizabeth.
In the 1861 Census he's with Ann again, and back with Elizabeth in the 1871 Census.

His daughter Jane b.1829 Mappowder, mother is Elizabeth.
Daughter Eliza b.1831 Mappowder, mother is Ann.
Son, George Samuel b.1832 Mappowder, mother is Elizabeth.
Then there's a 10 year gap before Sarah Ann is born in 1842 Mappowder to Elizabeth, and the following 2 children are also hers. Can you see my problem.?

I can find no marriage for Samuel to an Ann of any surname, nor an Ann Elizabeth, or Elizabeth Ann. There is a marriage for a Samuel Foot to an Elizabeth Mitchell in Pulham in 1828, but the 1841 census shows he's with Ann, and there are no marriage records for a Samuel Foot in the meantime. I have his death in 1875 in Mappowder, but can find no Ann Foot or Elizabeth Foot in the same place either before or after his death, nor in Hazelbury Bryan, which is where the family were in 1871.

The 1871 Census finally gives me more than 'Dorset' under birthplace for his spouse, with Elizabeth having been born in Pulham around 1810... Which brings me back to Elizabeth Mitchell... but, the only Elizabeth I can find in Pulham that matches is Elizabeth Petty, but again no marriage record and of course, no Ann. The 10 year gap between children might possibly mean a marriage, except that in 1861 Ann is back. Can anyone offer some help or insight in any way possible please.? This is driving me a little batty.

Also posted on Curious Fox.
Cawlbeck, Colbeck, Colbrook, Colebeck, Colebrook, Colebrooke, Coulbeck, Cowlbeck [UK, USA, NZ, Australia, Canada] Hamer [South Yorkshire, UK], Lucas [Cardiff & Gloucestershire, UK] Pennell [UK], Speed [UK], Udall, Udell [UK & USA], Webb [Staffordshire, Dorset, UK], Foot, Foote [Dorset, UK].

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Samuel Foot of Mappowder
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 16 February 23 18:26 GMT (UK) »
The birth registrations of the 3 younger children on the 1851 show mothers maiden name Mitchell.  Perhaps the 1841 entry has the wrong christian name
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 16 February 23 19:53 GMT (UK) »
@CaroleW, Thank you, at least it shows he did marry Elizabeth Mitchell in 1828. If the 1841 census is wrong, so is the 1861 and the mother's name on Eliza's baptism record. Why would you register as Ann if your name was Elizabeth.?  :-\
Cawlbeck, Colbeck, Colbrook, Colebeck, Colebrook, Colebrooke, Coulbeck, Cowlbeck [UK, USA, NZ, Australia, Canada] Hamer [South Yorkshire, UK], Lucas [Cardiff & Gloucestershire, UK] Pennell [UK], Speed [UK], Udall, Udell [UK & USA], Webb [Staffordshire, Dorset, UK], Foot, Foote [Dorset, UK].

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 16 February 23 20:11 GMT (UK) »
She could have been Elizabeth Ann but alternated between the 2 names.  Quite a big gap in ages between the older & younger children
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 17 February 23 13:12 GMT (UK) »
@CaroleW, yes.. ten years is a long time, especially when there doesn't appear to have been any (non-living) births for the couple in between.