Author Topic: Air Raid Wardens  (Read 271 times)

Offline grahamila

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Air Raid Wardens
« on: Thursday 16 February 23 21:35 GMT (UK) »
I am researching a man from Devizes, Wiltshire who may have been an Air Raid Warden.  Is there anywhere I might confirm this?

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Air Raid Wardens
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 16 February 23 21:59 GMT (UK) »
You quite often find it noted on the right hand page of the 1939 Register. Look for the initials ARP.

Offline grahamila

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 16 February 23 22:03 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately there is nothing in 1939 but I am interested in 1940 onwards.

Offline Copper1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 16 February 23 22:21 GMT (UK) »
Is this based on a family 'legend' ie third-person information. As the 1939 Register reveals nothing, what was his age & occupation at that time? The critical nature of the inevitable war meant that ARP needed to be trained up, hence the 1939Reg revealing such appointments jointly with a full time occupation.
Unless he acted in circumstances exhibiting bravery etc whilst as a warden, he is unlikely to be mentioned in a newspaper article, so check the newspapers for the location where he lived.
I note one particular incident is on Google: "Penzance 1942" & "WW2 People's War", but I presume you've checked those, but may not have considered the town's museum. Good luck.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 16 February 23 23:03 GMT (UK) »
My Late Father-In-Law was an Air Raid Warden, he didn't go to war as he was in a "Reserved Occupation"
Not sure this is of any help as your man may have been too old to sign up.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 16 February 23 23:30 GMT (UK) »
My father worked in a factory during WWII .  He was in the Home Guard which met once a week but he wasn't a Warden.

However, during the war factory workers took turns to stay at their factory during the night, even keeping watch on the factory roof.  They were fire watchers/wardens and had buckets of sand to douse fires with if the enemy planes dropped flares on their premises.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 17 February 23 09:18 GMT (UK) »
According to the National Archives catalogue (https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_dss=range&_sd=1937&_ed=1945&_q=Air+Raid+Precautions+Wiltshire) the Wiltshire and Swindon History Centre holds 57 series of records relating to ARP matter across the county. These are in the series F4/500. ARP matters for each of the major towns in Wiltshire are in the G series, Devizes being G5. Correspondence about ARP volunteers for Devizes are in G5/225/3. There is also a specific reference to correspondence on ARP matters with Devizes from the Bromham Parish Council in 3061/30.
I have no idea how detailed these records will be or whether individuals will be listed, so you will need to contact the History Centre. https://www.wshc.org.uk/our-services/archives.html
archives@wiltshire.gov.uk
Tel 01249 705500