Author Topic: Old Family Photos that need some love ❤️  (Read 364 times)

Offline RM68

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Old Family Photos that need some love ❤️
« on: Friday 17 February 23 15:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi all photo on left is of Charlie McCulloch (B: 1879) and Maggie Smith (B: c1875) and photo on right is of James Gemmell (B: 1886) and Mary Jane Johnstone (B: 1890) both photos would be in the areas of Kirkcudbrightshire/Wigtownshire Scotland if anything could be done to clean/sharpen not sure about colour as it may detract from the era of the pictures which at a guess would be from around the 50s if anything can be done to improve the images I would be very grateful.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Old Family Photos that need some love ❤️
« Reply #1 on: Friday 17 February 23 22:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi and welcome to RootsChat. It would be better to scan each photo in colour mode and at a resolution of 300dpi for best results. The files are quite small at only 43kbs. You can post a file size of just under 500kbs which would make them much easier to repair the damage.
It is better to Post each one on a separate pos
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 17 February 23 22:42 GMT (UK) »
Welcome from me too  :)

I've asked a Mod if it can be put on the main restoration board as this area is mainly for resources, etc. and restorers might miss it.

Gadget

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline RJ137

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 18 February 23 00:51 GMT (UK) »
My Try on the second photo-
A grayscale and a vintage look

Offline RM68

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 19 February 23 01:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi “Treetotal” & “Gadget” Thank You for your welcome and advice and as soon as I can get a hold of the originals again I will get them rescanned as per your advice meanwhile……

RJ137 what can I say but Thank You so much it is amazing how much a face can bring someone to life and that is exactly what you have done with that photo you have brought it to life I hope you derive as much pleasure bringing photos to life as much as I do receiving them.

😀Richard😀