Author Topic: Hydropathic Establishment, Row, Dunbartonshire  (Read 216 times)

Offline Macushla

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hydropathic Establishment, Row, Dunbartonshire
« on: Saturday 18 February 23 14:13 GMT (UK) »
Hello everyone,

I'm hoping that someone might be able to help me, please.

In the 1881 Scotland Census, my great-grandfather, the Rev. Andrew Fuller MILLS, is listed as a 'boarder' at:

Hydropathic Establishment, Row, Dunbartonshire

My understanding, mainly from a little Googling and memories of film and TV, is that people would go to such places to take 'the water cure'. It seems to have become a rich person's indulgence, with the benefits of hydrotherapy coming second to long lunches and gossip.

Can anyone shed any light on this establishment at all? Would it have been the Shandon Hydropathic Establishment, formerly West Shandon House and afterwards the Shandon Hotel?

I don't have any way of knowing why my Rev. was there. I believe he would have been a Minister (Baptist) in Glasgow at the time.

Thanks in advance for any help.

M.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Hydropathic Establishment, Row, Dunbartonshire
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 February 23 15:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi M

A good historical review of Scottish Hydropathic Establishments in the 19th C here https://historic-hospitals.com/2016/01/01/dry-january-head-for-a-hydro-a-brief-look-at-victorian-hydropathic-establishments-in-scotland/

The Shandon one you have seen from your searches I think is the one you are looking at for the Rev. There were not that many locations really for them.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Macushla

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hydropathic Establishment, Row, Dunbartonshire
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 18 February 23 23:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monica,

Thank you so much. The article is exactly what I was looking for. I think I had found a link to it previously but couldn't open it.

Many thanks
M.