Author Topic: London Burial Records Identification  (Read 235 times)

Offline davisd

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
London Burial Records Identification
« on: Saturday 18 February 23 21:01 GMT (UK) »
I note a record - and several others in the St Marylebone 1786-1812 Burials like the attached. Before the names are a variety of letters - often p which I think is pauper, Ch seems to be children, M and W are self explanatory but what does "H" mean?

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: London Burial Records Identification
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 February 23 23:52 GMT (UK) »
I think it will probably be H for House, indicating an inmate of the Workhouse, while P would be used for paupers outside the workhouse. Probably two different pots of money would fund these burials.

I don’t think it will be an indication of the burial location (as is sometimes found in registers), because at this period I believe everyone was buried in the Paddington Street ground.

Offline davisd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: London Burial Records Identification
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 19 February 23 19:32 GMT (UK) »
I think it will probably be H for House, indicating an inmate of the Workhouse, while P would be used for paupers outside the workhouse. Probably two different pots of money would fund these burials.

I don’t think it will be an indication of the burial location (as is sometimes found in registers), because at this period I believe everyone was buried in the Paddington Street ground.

Thank you for the kind message - that makes sense in this case. It seemed mysterious.