Author Topic: Christchurch Union Workhouse, Southwark - COMPLETED  (Read 1993 times)

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Christchurch Union Workhouse, Southwark - COMPLETED
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 23 February 23 16:59 GMT (UK) »
I've had another look at the Industrial School Francis & Thomas ... this was the school associated with the Shoreditch workhouse and it appears as though they may have simply entered Shoreditch as the place of birth of everyone for whom they didn't know otherwise ... so I think that probably DOES make them my great x3 uncle and great great grandfather.

Still can't find Edgar, though ... but working on it!

As a slight aside ... this was the workhouse that Charles Dickens visited and was appalled by ... so it's just possible that my great great grandfather was the original inspiration for Oliver Twist ... )
All identified names up to and including my great x5 grandparents: Abbot Andrews Baker Blenc(h)ow Brothers Burrows Chambers Clifton Cornwell Escott Fisher Foster Frost Giddins Groom Hardwick Harris Hart Hayho(e) Herman Holcomb(e) Holmes Hurley King-Spooner Martindale Mason Mitchell Murphy Neves Oakey Packman Palmer Peabody Pearce Pettit(t) Piper Pottenger Pound Purkis Rackliff(e) Richardson Scotford Sherman Sinden Snear Southam Spooner Stephenson Varing Weatherley Webb Whitney Wiles Wright

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 24 February 23 20:09 GMT (UK) »
Rough settlement exam for Edgar Spooner, 6 Nov 1847, Islington
https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/collections/1557/images/32966_625537_0384-00205

I now see there is one in Islington for Elizabeth (nee Escott), dated 29 Dec 1853
It references the first one.
Here is the first half of it

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 24 February 23 20:18 GMT (UK) »
Part two (with great difficulty!)

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 24 February 23 20:34 GMT (UK) »
Now this is REALLY great stuff, Jon ... I'll need to transcribe it carefully, but from a brief perusal it is really helpful confirmation of a number of details.

Michael Spooner (Edgar's father) is indeed at Talbot Court in the 1841 census, and 3 Talbot Court in the 1851 census. He died in 1853.
All identified names up to and including my great x5 grandparents: Abbot Andrews Baker Blenc(h)ow Brothers Burrows Chambers Clifton Cornwell Escott Fisher Foster Frost Giddins Groom Hardwick Harris Hart Hayho(e) Herman Holcomb(e) Holmes Hurley King-Spooner Martindale Mason Mitchell Murphy Neves Oakey Packman Palmer Peabody Pearce Pettit(t) Piper Pottenger Pound Purkis Rackliff(e) Richardson Scotford Sherman Sinden Snear Southam Spooner Stephenson Varing Weatherley Webb Whitney Wiles Wright

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 24 February 23 20:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi
It's a stroke of luck that the action was happening in Islington at that time, because they have a good run of surviving exam books. What is still around varies from place to place.

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 24 February 23 20:59 GMT (UK) »
OK

So here's my first effort at transcribing Elizabeth's statement:

29/12/53

Spooner Elizth 21 North Avenue 24 w 1 ch

I was married to Edgar Spooner 41 at St Johns Church 11 June 1849

He had a child Mary aged 11 years by his former wife Jeanette

My husband left me at 4 Thornhill Street on 22nd November - he took the girl with him but she returned home yesterday from [?] 27 [?] Marylebone

My husband is a tailor by trade - I believe he was apptd to it at the West End. He belongs to the Forresters at Harrisons Arms Grays Inn Rd.

I have received two letters from him the former containing 2/? the latter dated 22 inst contained 2/6 to pay the rent. Address Mr Royles tailor ? Rd ?

Mr ? of 22 ? has known my husband 25 years.

I believe he deserted the child Mary Ann and 2 others since deceased abt 6 yrs ago when they were taken into the workhouse

Really grateful if anyone can assist with the bits I have been unable to construe ... I'm still working with only one eye!

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 24 February 23 21:18 GMT (UK) »
And John [Milton's?] statement:

? 6/11/47

Milton Jno 22 Gt ?field St says I have known Edgar Spooner abt 25 yrs. But not ? after he left his master. I believe he is a Bastd. That his father M Spooner lived at Talbot Ct Eastcheap. He had a ? in the South Sea House.

Again, any corrections or additions where I have been unable to construe would be much appreciated.

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 24 February 23 21:48 GMT (UK) »
It's "vide 6/11/47", isn't it! That's the date of the previous admission of Edgar's three girls ...

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 24 February 23 21:50 GMT (UK) »
And of course, if John Milton is right that Edgar was a bastard ... that probably explains why we have not been able to find his baptism! We've been looking under Spooner, whereas we should have been looking under his mother's maiden name ... which we don't know in the absence of Michael Spooner's marriage.

Yet another impossible new twist in the saga ...