Author Topic: Diary summary week ending 26th February  (Read 2105 times)

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Diary summary week ending 26th February
« on: Monday 20 February 23 14:39 GMT (UK) »
Well looks as if I am lone ranger with opening this weeks diary

Hope all I well with everyone

Spoke to a friend who was in Auckland  whilst they were having  troubles recently with the weather, NZ , hope things are better now

Beautiful  day here but chilly but that suits me, the sun out makes it feel warmer.

I have daffodils out this weekend in my front garden which doesn't get the warmth if there is any but it is nice to see them.

Take care

LM
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Re: Diary summary week ending 26th February
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 February 23 16:32 GMT (UK) »
It's certainly lovely to see the spring flowers showing their faces, I have crocuses out, no daffs yet but there are some out just round the corner. The wild plum trees on my daily walk are coming into blossom, they're a beautiful sight when they're all in full bloom.

I've taken to including a walk over the railway bridge on my route, the reason being that I can see how the work is progressing where they're bringing the power lines ashore from the Dogger Bank windfarm. It's been going on for some months now, they've cut a huge swathe across the farmer's fields down to the sea, there's a massive crane there and another at the other side of the road. The lines will have to go under the road and the railway, apparently they use a mole to do that. (Not the little gentleman in the velvet waistcoat! ) It's all quite fascinating.  :)
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline mare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 February 23 03:59 GMT (UK) »
Weather has been good since the cyclone went through thankfully, as massive efforts required in dealing with the cleanup after the destruction left, LM. Many lives tipped upside down in worst hit areas, overwhelmed by the enormity of it really and the losses. Having the communication connections out and loss of power created extra difficulty especially where people were reported missing or requiring urgent help and work to restore that and access priority, still power outages for some and repair work to roads and clearing properties a major. The family and friends we have in those areas with significant impact have all been in touch now, and as of last night all now reconnected with power, grateful to be safe and without much damage to their homes saying just inconvenience of trying to get by without that flick of switch having been relatively nothing when some have lost everything. So many stories ...

As per diary origin, just to say that mention of covid not as prominent in news although ongoing infections, heard of detection in rescue teams even a couple of days ago and today a headline that annual death rate NZ is up about 10% and attributed to the pandemic. A lovely friend, who was 92 yesterday, sadly lost a brother early December to the virus. The siblings very close and all 5 in frequent contact since they lost a younger brother in his youth.

Full week of comings and goings, an hour in the dentist chair yesterday midway though process of a new crown and a steep bill. Also nursing injury from a fall early Saturday evening, almost at destination and  stepped onto quite thick grass after leaving footpath and a concealed bit of branch under tree caught my foot, headlong I went unable to counter the momentum! Landed heavily on left elbow and jarred my shoulder, bruising came out straight away and definitely felt it but had some movement albeit painful. Knew I hadn't broken anything but wanted to log it in as accident just in case any ongoing affect perhaps with shoulder, so on Sunday walked to nearest accident and emergency about 45 minutes away, an hour from arriving to leaving with my piece of paper work and reassurance  seemed to be spraining through arm. At least that was all free, a bit warm for walk coming into heat of day and so caught bus back on senior pass. Husband was away as planned at an event for the day, representing Fire and Historical with a display at a museum. Still to make our trip north to family, State of Emergency still in place and detours on roads etc.

Hot walking home from morning group today too at lunchtime, needed cool drink and bit of a rest. Now to get pancake mixture ready and resting

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 21 February 23 09:36 GMT (UK) »
Morning all
Roobarb, fascinating to hear about the wind farm electric cables. There was an article on the news yesterday about East Anglia and how they weren't going to have underground cables and they weren't happy about it, citing the North East and how we had the underground cabling so why couldn't they.
Mare glad to hear your arm wasn't broken, though still painful I'm sure. Lots of folk have lost so much in the storms and earthquakes and war.........
LM and Roobarb we have snowdrops and crocuses out, though the crocuses took a battering with storm otto. The bluebells are shooting up with the sun shining. Daffodils are still quite small. Need to get out and do some weeding as THEY are thriving !
North East of England

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 21 February 23 11:17 GMT (UK) »
My blue bells are coming up and some daffodils and the odd tulip .
Sadly the bluebells are not our dainty native ones, but are enclosed in my garden except for some in the lane ,
perhaps planted by the previous owner or escapees.
However they will now be covered by the chippings that are all over the lane from the work done to make the camper van standing of a neighbour.

Grey but mild day.
Pancake day today.
Must make some batter - it is better if it has stood a while ,I put melted butter in mine as Belgian ladies do, light and moist without being soggy.
Love cinnamon sugar and stewed apple and cream with them.
The whipped sweet Chantilly  cream .
Ooh, all the cream and sugar!
I might freeze some batter before I add sugar, then with some strong cheeses such as Parmesan mixed in the thawed batter they make lovely light cheese pancakes quite different from omelettes.
Oh low battery warning ,so Cheerio for now ,lovely to read all your news ,thankyou, cheerio, Viktoria,

Online ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 21 February 23 11:23 GMT (UK) »
Not thought of pancakes - so close to the start of Lent!
Hope all "storm-sufferers" are reviving well.
TY
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 21 February 23 12:02 GMT (UK) »
I'm not doing pancakes today but when I do make them I like them plain with lemon only,  no sugar or syrup or cream. I don't have a sweet tooth.
North East of England

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 21 February 23 13:09 GMT (UK) »
Well folks,it has started ,Putin going the way all such tyrants go, losing their grasp on reality .
Claiming The West started the war in Ukraine.
I felt all along it would  go global.He is drawing other countries in.
He has turned the tables and refuses to comply with Nuclear testing ,NATO Airspace etc.an oversimplification perhaps ,but let’s see what Pres.Biden says in Poland this afternoon .

He has saved his big guns ‘til last ,sacrificed his poorest troops and I do not believe he has used his crack troops or weaponry ,yet, a country as well armed as Russia could have wiped out Ukraine easily ,but the aim was to draw other countries in ,then another global war
Sorry to be the harbinger of gloom,but there is no escaping some hard facts.

What China will do?

Sorry to be the harbinger of gloom,but I feel for the younger people.
I have a few years left perhaps but I would want others to have a long and happy life too.
War as we knew it is as nothing by comparison .

I quite understand if I am told off for this post , but I felt I could sound off to people who are the good friends I have never met .

I will take any criticism,I can see both sides.
Viktoria.

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 21 February 23 14:04 GMT (UK) »
I listened to some of Putins diatribe and in the end I had to turn it off as I was getting very hot under the collar…
it is simply terrifying that his population can believe all that he says…
but if course they have felt like this for generations so it’s going to be virtually impossible for a change of mind anytime soon…

Like you Viktoria I worry for my children and grandchildren and what sort of a world it is becoming..
Every day my OH and I talk of how things were in our childhood, teenage and younger years and how quickly things have now gone downhill..

On a brighter note our snowdrops and hellebores are looking beautiful and crocus out too.
Dull grey day today but washing still put out!

Mare I’m so sorry to hear of the plight of your family and friends and Hope normality returns soon..
your description of your fall had me wincing as I read it and pleased to hear no broken bones.. but a battering and bruising can be just as painful… take care and hope it improves soon.

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK