Author Topic: Diary summary week ending 26th February  (Read 2106 times)

Offline Pinetree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Diary summary week ending 26th February
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 23 February 23 07:14 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all for your kind messages.

Pinetree
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 23 February 23 08:48 GMT (UK) »
Pine tree so sorry to hear about your mum. As someone else said, hold onto the happy memories.
Viktoria I have problems getting small glasses too and often have to look in the teens section.
North East of England

Online ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 23 February 23 09:33 GMT (UK) »
Whatever your age, the loss of a parent is always so devastating, especially when it's the last one. I remember a former colleague of mine saying he was ' A norphan' now at the age of 78. It's that final link, isn't it, Pinetree?  Condolences, and thinking of you.
TY
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 23 February 23 18:23 GMT (UK) »
I had not thought if that, my M in L lived to be 105 !
Making my husband 81 !
But it is never easy.

My M in L had  lost her eldest and youngest sons in late middle age ( theirs) so as a firm believer was really anticipating seeing them again .
I hope she did and my husband too and eventually will her her daughter.

A beautiful day here ,bright sunshine.
Bought some serious loppers for a Dogwood,out of control, went for a new fitting for a bathroom push dawn plug,for  washbasin .

Strange what you come back with.!

Well rice and Ratatouille with Swedish meat balls( vegetarian,Quorn) for tea.
 Some ironing to do
Visit from almost totally blind and extremely deaf lady ,who wants me to accompany her to The Bury Blind Society social events,I am registered  as partially sighted but don’t take advantage of that as I can travel by bus alone  on familiar routes.p, and can do a good deal really.
I will phone and see what they say.
Well a quick vac round kitchen ( half carpeted ——- dining kitchen! )
Cheerio, and thoughts with Pinetree and her family at a very sad time.
Viktoria.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 25 February 23 09:35 GMT (UK) »
On Thursday, I went to the Archives in Newcastle.  I had to renew my travel pass so I went to the metro station in my hometown to buy it at the machine.  However, I found that the station had been closed; apparently something to do with the high winds (perhaps some damage?).  So I had to leg it to another station - just as well I set off early!
There was a bit of a crowd waiting outside when I got to the archives (people with kids waiting for the museum to open).  It didn't open exactly on time as there was some problem to do with the padlock fastening the huge gates.  Someone had to let us in a small opening in the gate and those that could, had to step over.  It was wonderful to be in the archives, I do find it thrilling to look at old records!  However, it was very quiet in there.  I do miss the old days when it used to be busy.  I do wonder when, if ever, this archives is going to return to normal as other places have been long since.  I am sure this booking and pre-ordering system must be putting people off.  It is so frustrating as when I was there I felt there were other things I could look at but you can't just ask for things like you used to.  Never mind it was a good experience, nevertheless.
Yesterday, I was at the library when the announcement for the Ukraine minute's silence was made.  I spent the minute thinking on the deaths of the Ukrainians and Russians and others and praying that it all will end.  What bothers me the most about all this is that it is a completely unnecessary war Putin has launched.  People have died on all sides for no good reason.  I think Putin is a world disaster the same as Covid was. 

Are you going to lop the dogwood yourself Viktoria?  Gosh, you never stop and are always so busy!  I also had a veggie meal for tea yesterday.  M&S Saag aloo, comes in a little pot container £2.30; I added some mushrooms to it and had it with rice.

Fortunately, at the moment at least there is still plenty of fruit and veg in my local shops.  People are being more sensible this time round.  However, the prices have much increased.  Also, I have noticed that some dried pasta packets that you can add water and milk too have gone up 100% in price (yes, double what it used to be last year.)  I continue to suspect some are just hiking up prices because they think they can get away with it.

I hope Pinetree and Annette are alright.  I also hope PharmaT is alright.  If you read this Pharma, I hope you are okay and that you are not having to work too hard. I think many of us on here have missed reading your posts.  Please consider coming back.  Take care.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 25 February 23 10:22 GMT (UK) »
You too seem such a busy person RTL, yes a bit if a fag  by comparison when you could ask for and get just what you wanted from local archives.

Yes,the loppers are good and sharp and I chose some that were not too heavy.The Dogwood is lovely but blocks out some sun but also screens my garden a bit from a noisy family over the little back lane .
I don’t mind children playing happily but one is a“ stirrer”,kicking a ball into the next garden and bullying a younger child to go for  it without speaking to the householder !
There is another bush that cascades down with a myriad of tiny white flowers on gracefully curving branches but it needs clearing at ground level where it has some dead branches.
Despite the cold the Pyracanthus  is really forward, heathers in full flower well never stopped, the Spiraea looks dead, but Peony has some sturdy shoots coming up, roses look O.K. but a bit worried about my Captain Sir Tom one.
Lots more all coming on.
Must do a good tidy .
Well can have a cuppa now, my Thyroxine tabs need to be taken for a minimum of 30 mins before or after caffein,de caffeinated coffee is not a cup of tea!
Thanks for  your news, I too miss a good few of our regular posters, hope all are well.
Cheerio.Viktoria.

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 25 February 23 10:42 GMT (UK) »
Although the sun is out I am finding  it a bit to chilly to do any serious gardening I am the only one who does it including mowing the lawn,  I have a few daffs out but I think next year I must really plant more, they do add a bit of colour.
RTL  spoke about the records  office,  I think because so much is online not so many visit, I enjoyed the visits to London and Essex  record offices, nice atmosphere.
Yesterday I went to deliver 3 years of Christmas presents, only seen this couple once in the last 3 years, was a very long walk from the main town and only a bus every hour so I walked , 40 mins each way, they have succumbed  to Covid so I left the bag on their front step,  rang them as I walked away, I can't even remember what was in the last 2 years parcels, I hope it cheered them up and gave them a laugh,  they are  out of my way now.
Can't believe it is almost March, time is galloping away
Hope all is well with everyone

LM

Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 25 February 23 18:40 GMT (UK) »
WheeHee,Hooray and Yippee!
The Flying Scotsman is back in Bury where it was totally refurbished at Riley’s after a bad refurbish somewhere else.
Lots of things planned for March .
It was still in its black wartime livery last time but now in the glorious green .
It is its  centenery year, and countrywide events are planned .
1923 is its centenery year.

Listening with half an ear to the Welsh Rugby Captain who has jus sworn on T,V.I think !
Bad swearing!
Open to correction , and hope he didn’t .

HisGranny will wash his mouth out with soap and water!

Viktoria.

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 25 February 23 20:05 GMT (UK) »
 I join everyone in sending
Commiserations to you pinetree.

Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson