Author Topic: Diary summary week ending 26th February  (Read 2104 times)

Online bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Diary summary week ending 26th February
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 21 February 23 19:46 GMT (UK) »
Not thought of pancakes - so close to the start of Lent!
Hope all "storm-sufferers" are reviving well.
TY

Just wondered if people roll or fold their pancakes?

I know they taste the same whatever you do with them.
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 21 February 23 19:59 GMT (UK) »
I roll mine… we have savoury ones though with a meat filling not sweet ones… very tasty! Yum yum..

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 21 February 23 20:08 GMT (UK) »
I was invited to a pancake session in aid of a charity 2 people at our  church support, I didn't want  to go on my own, anyway I was asked to sell the raffle tickets, which I did and I helped wash  up, so I went, spent most of the  day there with a lovely group of people, not only pancakes, I rolled mine, but cake and quiche which was the  nicest quiche I had ever tasted, all in all a really enjoyable day,  I didn't make pancakes when I came home as my husband isn't keen.

LM
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 22 February 23 11:53 GMT (UK) »
Roobarb, it is very interesting to read of your new route which takes in the windfarm.  By the way, I see in the news today that some supermarkets are rationing fruit and veg because of shortages.  Gosh, I hope it won’t come to ‘digging for victory’.  ??? I am not very green fingered. :-\  I think you and Caroline & hubby might need to be on standby as we might need you to step into the role of the famous war time gardener C. H. Middleton – we might need you both for advice the way things are going.
Mare, I am so sorry about all you and others have gone through with the cyclone and also about the rising death numbers where you are and your accident.  I hope the pain is now subsiding.  Do take care - we are thinking of you.
I didn’t watch Putin’s speech but I did read a bit about it.  Waste of time really as he doesn’t seem to be able to speak with any sense.  What does he mean that the west started the war and Russia tried to stop it. ::)  I think he’s away with the fairies. ::)
I know we are to have a minute’s silence for Ukraine on Friday.  It is so tragic to think of all the Ukrainian, Russian and other deaths which Putin is responsible for all because he launched an unnecessary war on a peaceful country.  It is unbearably sad.  I don’t blame the Russians, when you have a dictator you don’t have much choice in matters.
Re pancakes I have these flat but I fold omelettes.  I had some delicious pancakes with red berries on Monday that SiL made when I visited.  I also had some more pancakes last night.  Sometimes you just can’t get too much of a good thing. ;)
LM, that is lovely that you went along to this event purely as a good turn and ended up having such a good time in the company of lovely people and that there was not only pancakes to enjoy but cake and quiche as well. :D  What a bonus that the quiche you had was the nicest you ever tasted. :D
I had a similar experience once quite a few years back.  Our Church had a event on but it was before a nightshift so I said I would just go for an hour to help with washing up.  However, they did insist I ate something and I was given the most delicious chocolate cake slice with cream!  The moral of all this seems to be help out at Church events! ;D ;)
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 22 February 23 19:31 GMT (UK) »
Roobarb,you have had the baby ,may I suggest you call it Vladimir after that great Russian Fairy Story Teller.?

I know I am not really good with political things but I was Gobsmacked to hear in the teatime news that British Steel is owned by China!!!

Well, I can see immense problems with that!

I don’t get it ,really, why do such things not stay in our hands?
I am going to lie down in a dark room.

Made a batch of Ratatouille ,whilst you can still get the ingredients .

Well done,doing a stint at Church before work.

To see modern machinery at work is amazing but also makes me appreciate more things like Manchester’s Ship Canal when whilst there was some machinery, so much was sheer hard manual labour by the Navvies.

Hope you are alright mare, it does shake you when you have any accident.

Eye test today,hard to find frames I liked,my face is small so some make me look like Deirdre from  Corrie when big specs were fashionable .

Well Last of the Sumer Wine is on ,I find it so funny ,Compo and Nora !
Cheerio.Viktoria.

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 22 February 23 21:10 GMT (UK) »
Everybody is so busy this week, I really don't have much to write about to be honest.
I am not very political and I am a bit of an ostrich ,  I do have to quite frequent.y listen to a friend who is political, if she is with her husband, well I have both of them at me, I don't do the same to them about religion but she really is a
lovely  friend who I have known since 1969 so I put up with it.
I have a visit to London planned next week and now they are forecast  snow, if it snows I won't go.
There was no shortage of fruit in my local supermarket today, my husband eats 5 or 6 apples a day, yes, he does,  plus a banana and an orange, I do eat fruit but not as much as him, if there is no fruit I will have a yoghurt.
Pleased to  be reminded about a minutes silence on Friday.
RTL,  once one offers to help at church, they have got you, I am on the fun raising committee,  must have winked at the wrong time and they got me,  I do enjoy it but it is very hard work, we don't just  open at 10.30 till 3pm for any bazaars or fairs, lots go on before and after.
Take care

LM

Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Pinetree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 22 February 23 21:19 GMT (UK) »
Well lost my lovely mum just over a week ago. She was at home with her family around her which is what she wanted. The care and support mum and the rest of us received from carers and district nurses was amazing. I know some posters on here such as RTL and PharmaT are in the caring profession so thank you to you and everyone like for all you do.

Pinetree
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 22 February 23 21:29 GMT (UK) »
So so sorry to hear that sad news Pinetree.  :(

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 22 February 23 21:34 GMT (UK) »
 So very sorry to hear about your mum Pinetree, this must be a very difficult time for you. Your Rootschat friends are here any time you need to offload.   :-*

RTL, I think you'd have to turn to Caroline for advice on veg growing, I don't have room in my garden to grow them so don't really have any experience. I grow lettuce, spring onions and parsley in pots, my advice for them is sprinkle seeds on compost, water in and continue watering as necessary. That's it!  ;D ;D Oh, and cut and eat when they're grown.  :D
I'd noticed for a while that Tesco wasn't allowing me to add extra items to my order of tomatoes but I wasn't aware of the reason until recently. I just hope that publicising it doesn't lead to panic buying, particularly as they're perishable items. I eat a lot of tomatoes and fruit but I must say I couldn't stomach five apples a day like your husband LM.

Viktoria, I've put Roobarb on a diet since you fat shamed him.  ;D ;D

As for Chinese steel, don't even start me on that. We made the best steel in the world in this area until our steel industry was decimated by inferior cheap Chinese steel. Our world renowned industry is now no more.
It seems that all our major companies are now foreign owned.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales