Author Topic: RAF record request  (Read 420 times)

Offline ginfairy81

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
RAF record request
« on: Monday 20 February 23 20:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi, knowing how helpful everyone has been on here previously, I thought I’d try my luck again! We are trying to trace my Grandad’s service history. He has been a complicated man to trace from birth and continues to be! We know from his marriage certificate that he was in the RAF as a leading aircraft man and have his service number on there, but as yet I have been unable to find any record of his service? Hoping someone may have some ideas?! His name is Charles William WHILEY and his service number on his marriage certificate is 1375913 at RAF Withersfiled, Essex.
Thanks in advance!

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: RAF record request
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 February 23 20:25 GMT (UK) »
I'm assuming from his service number that he didn't join the RAF at the time of its formation in April 1918. Therefore it's most likely that his records are still with the MOD. You can apply for them using this link:https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records/apply-for-someone-elses-records

Offline ginfairy81

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 February 23 20:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Andy, that’s really helpful thank you I’ll get chasing! :)

Offline rafcommands

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 19 March 23 14:58 GMT (UK) »
There is a microfilmed card index of RAF Other Ranks from 1918 to 1970s in AIR78 series at the TNA.

These have been converted to pdf and can be downloaded free.

Note not individual transcribed cards - just a reel where you download the whole reel he is alphabetically in and look for the card.

AIR78/168

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_aq=air78%2F168&_dss=range&_ro=any&_st=adv

Not much on this card but confirms his full name and service with RAF. corrects your posted service number to 1379513 and is marked with Militia so he was called up on the lists as a Militiaman.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Militia_(United_Kingdom)

Note after 1939 this more an admin classification than choice of the man.

This service number is in a batch issued at RAF Euston between August 1940 and Dec 1941. His specific number more towards middle of 1941 than end of 1940.

I would do an online application to MoD RAF for his service record. Takes about 3 to 4 weeks at the moment but in your application ask for "request informal review of mustering section with view to publication" in the any other info box.

You do not need his service number  but if you wish to add this in the any additional info box use the AIR78 one.

Only other things you need are a month and year of birth, and if death was not in service then an electronic (eg jpg photo of death certificate - more than 25 years ago)

Ross
Sea Losses of RAF Aircraft 1918 to date.

RAF Coastal Command 1939-45.

Between the Wars RAF Officers and Warrant Officers.