Author Topic: Alexander Taylor and Martha McCann circa 1810-1840  (Read 1152 times)

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Taylor and Martha McCann circa 1810-1840
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 28 January 24 11:20 GMT (UK) »
From the search options choose 'catalogue' and just put in your film number.

https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog

Choose film/fiche/image group number and put your number in there.

That film number is for civil events and you can search the civil records here....

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/civil-search.jsp

To see what is indexed and/or imaged....

https://www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/civil-records/help/what-civil-records-are-on-line

Debra  :)

Online wyanga

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 29 January 24 00:07 GMT (UK) »
Dundee
             Thank you for the info on how to look up a film number.
Unfortunately it does not give me the original entry. I have sighted it previously and it is for the death of a William Taylor at the Coleraine work house, in 1892 he was a widower aged 81 and died of cancer of the face.
   I am trying to see the original to see if any next of kin are named. If it is the William  I am looking for he would have a son James b 1840.
 Wyanga
Ireland: Taylor, Clark, Doyle, Pollock,Boyle
England: Toogood, Long, Ford, Lander, King, Dye,Copeman, Heness, Gardner, Robertson, Cameron, Sherwen, Bell 
Scotland: Campbell, McNaughtan, McKellar

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 29 January 24 01:40 GMT (UK) »
The death is here on the link I gave you.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1892/06029/4717086.pdf

Deaths in the workhouse don't usually give any personal information, but he was of Macosquin.

Debra  :)

Online wyanga

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 29 January 24 03:14 GMT (UK) »
Dundee
 Thank you very much . That is the record I was trying to find.
 The poor chap, he was certainly in a bad way with cancer of the face throat and mouth. He does not appear to have had any relatives present at his death. and being a labourer finding any more earlier records for him might not be possible .
have you any suggestions ? Also a grave headstone is unlikely.
 I am trying to establish if this William Taylor is the same One as the William baptised 1813 at Claughey Ballymoney or the William that was father of James Taylor married to Martha Pedan ( see earlier in this Post )
Wyanga
England: Toogood, Long, Ford, Lander, King, Dye,Copeman, Heness, Gardner, Robertson, Cameron, Sherwen, Bell 

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 29 January 24 06:19 GMT (UK) »
Dundee
 Thank you very much . That is the record I was trying to find.
 The poor chap, he was certainly in a bad way with cancer of the face throat and mouth. He does not appear to have had any relatives present at his death. and being a labourer finding any more earlier records for him might not be possible .
have you any suggestions ? Also a grave headstone is unlikely.
 I am trying to establish if this William Taylor is the same One as the William baptised 1813 at Claughey Ballymoney or the William that was father of James Taylor married to Martha Pedan ( see earlier in this Post )
Wyanga

I think he probably would have had relatives with him, the Workhouse was another name for a hospital and as he died in the hospital the death would be officlally reported by the head of the place where he died rather than by a relative. Relatives who were present at death usually reported a death at home. 

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 29 January 24 07:34 GMT (UK) »
Sometimes when we are looking this far back it can be valuable to look linearly rather than straight-line back. 

So you have Alexander and Martha McCann Taylor being the parents of William Taylor born 1811 or 1813 but poss baptised 1813.
Then this William being the father of a James who marries in 1868.

You may have the details elsewhere but this information provided looks a bit 'skinny' for helpers to ponder/search. 

When we look back we need to be aware of things like Irish naming patterns* and so that is why siblings and other children than the targets are important.   

Have you found siblings of William? 

What were their names & dates?

Where in the birth order does William come?

When does William marry and who does he marry?
(was it to Margaret McPherson?

Have you found siblings of James?

Where in the birth order does James come?

James marries
13/3/1868 Martha Pedan
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1868/11445/8204293.pdf

If we have a wider range to scan we possibly have a greater chance of finding information. 

ETA *naming patterns for William's siblings may give clues as to the parents of Alexander & Martha Taylor

Online wyanga

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 29 January 24 11:23 GMT (UK) »
Shanreagh
                  You are correct the information that I have is very thin. Very few facts.
 From James Taylor and Martha Pedan marriage 13 Mar 1868 at Aghadowey Presbyterian Church,  I have that James was a gardener of Mullahinch with father William Labourer.
  I know that James was born 1840 from his memorial at Coleraine.
! am guessing that if his father was 30 when he was born then William would be born about 1810.
  I do not have any siblings for James I do not know if he was a single child or not.
  I do have another marriage at Aghadowey in 20th Oct 1840 William Duff married Sarah Jane Taylor  of Mullahinch daughter of William Taylor Labourer. (Same place and father as James)
  I do not know if this is the same William Taylor or not.
   From other records I have found that Sarah jane Taylor would have been born 1828..
  There is a large difference in birth dates and marriage dates.
   From the Protestants Householders report in 1740there were 16 Taylors named in Coleraine , with 8 of them in  Macosquin, including two William Taylors and an Alexander Taylor.
  Unless there is some other record that I am unaware of, to be able to identify the correct Taylors would indeed be a miracle.
Wyanga

So I am also dealing with one of the most common names in Northern Ireland.