Author Topic: Alexander Taylor and Martha McCann circa 1810-1840  (Read 1150 times)

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Taylor and Martha McCann circa 1810-1840
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 22 February 23 01:09 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Elwyn and athacliath62 for confirming the Church of Ireland record for William.
   What i need now is a record of the marriage of  the Alexander and Martha McCann that should show Alexander's fathers name. Possibly between 1800 and 1813
Wyanga

Marriage records for the years you have given are very unlikely to contain parents names. Mostly all you get at that period are the couples names, the date and their 2 witnesses.
Elwyn

Offline wyanga

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 23 February 23 05:19 GMT (UK) »
 I have also been quoted a birth record for WilliamTaylor it is dated 1810 Belfast
and reads :       name Alexander Taylor
                      gender  male
                       Spouse     Martha McCann
                       Child   William
        FHL Film 908674

This is the same film number and names as is in the baptism notice at Ballymoney in 1813
 looking at Proni he only Church of Ireland church in Belfast with births or baptism and marriage  records from  before that date is St Annes Shankill. Proni has digital records for this.
St. Anne’s Cathedral, Belfast, Co. Antrim (CR1/115)
   But I find one has to be at Proni to view it. Would it be possible if anyone is visiting Proni to search this record for this birth record and for a marriage record for Alexander Taylor and Martha McCann prior to 1810.
 That is asking a lot I know but I would be very appreciative to obtain that information.
Wyanga
Ireland: Taylor, Clark, Doyle, Pollock,Boyle
England: Toogood, Long, Ford, Lander, King, Dye,Copeman, Heness, Gardner, Robertson, Cameron, Sherwen, Bell 
Scotland: Campbell, McNaughtan, McKellar

Offline wyanga

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 25 January 24 02:29 GMT (UK) »
 i repeat my request in my last post 23rd Feb 2023

I have also been quoted a birth record for William Taylor it is dated 1810 Belfast
and reads :       name Alexander Taylor
                      gender  male
                       Spouse     Martha McCann
                       Child   William
        FHL Film 908674

This is the same film number and names as is in the baptism notice at Ballymoney in 1813
 looking at PRONI the only Church of Ireland church in Belfast with births or baptism and marriage  records from  before that date is St Annes Shankill. PRONI has digital records for this.
St. Anne’s Cathedral, Belfast, Co. Antrim (CR1/115)
   But I find one has to be at PRONI to view it. Would it be possible if anyone is visiting PRONI to search this record for this birth record and for a marriage record for Alexander Taylor and Martha McCann prior to 1810.
 That is asking a lot I know but I would be very appreciative to obtain that information. It is unusual for the Woman's maiden name to be included in a birth notice and it might be that they were not married. Any notes  made on the notice would be helpful

Wyanga
England: Toogood, Long, Ford, Lander, King, Dye,Copeman, Heness, Gardner, Robertson, Cameron, Sherwen, Bell 

Offline athacliath62

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 25 January 24 11:44 GMT (UK) »
You can view a digital image of film 908674 online on the FamilySearch website, it contains several items including records from Ballymoney Church of Ireland and First Donegore Presbyterian, along with other items for England (Herefordshire and Kent), none that I see for Belfast

The Ballymoney and Donegore record transcripts, including baptisms,  start at this link : Film 908674 Image 491, you need a free FamilySearch account to access these.

Offline athacliath62

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 25 January 24 12:00 GMT (UK) »
The date for that baptism of William is actually 30th January 1813 at Ballymoney Church of Ireland, you can view the transcript here (image 504), one additional detail is noted the family residence, Claghy.

Online Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 25 January 24 12:26 GMT (UK) »
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline wyanga

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 25 January 24 23:59 GMT (UK) »
 athacliath62
    Thank you for the Familysearch information . I have registered a free account and viewed the item in 504.
   This raises an interesting conclusion:
I also have a birth record for a child William to Alexander Taylor and Martha McCann in Belfast in 1810. This birth in Claghy is Jan 2013.
  It would appear as if the William in Belfast did not survive and that the couple have moved to Ballymoney and had a second child named William in 2013.
  I have checked another 10 years in that Ballymoney file and there are no more births for Alexander Taylor and Martha McCann./
Either they have had no more children or moved again.
  Your help is very much appreciated .
Wyanga

Offline athacliath62

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 26 January 24 09:46 GMT (UK) »
bear in mind that despite the heading on that page, these Ballymoney record transcripts are probably baptisms,  and may not necessarily have taken place when the child was an infant.

registration of births only started in the 1860s

Offline wyanga

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 27 January 24 23:29 GMT (UK) »
athachianth62
You can view a digital image of film 908674 online on the FamilySearch website, it contains several items including records from Ballymoney Church of Ireland and First Donegore Presbyterian, along with other items for England (Herefordshire and Kent), none that I see for Belfast

The Ballymoney and Donegore record transcripts, including baptisms,  start at this link : Film 908674 Image 491, you need a free FamilySearch account to access these.
You have set this up for me to view, how do I search another film no in Free Search?
The film number is 101507 page 325
Wyanga