Author Topic: Liverpool area newspapers 1850's  (Read 311 times)

Offline haney

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Liverpool area newspapers 1850's
« on: Tuesday 21 February 23 01:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Everyone I am trying to find anything in the various Liverpool papers that has information on the ships leaving Liverpool in and around April 1854 for Australia (Melbourne). 

I believe that a custom of the day (1850's) was to hold a banquet on board the emigrant ships which were about to leave the port and these were reported in the newspapers. 

I have on reference to the LIVERPOOL ALBION, and this newspaper apparently listed extracts of the ships log!  Could be very helpful.

My research is on the NORWOOD (belonged to the BLACK BALL LINE) which was owned at the time by W C WEBB from Newport!

The NORWOOD sailed from Liverpool on the 17th of April 1854 with migrants destined to Melbourne.

Any snippets of information would be greatly appreciated.  Kindest regards Dianna

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
Re: Liverpool area newspapers 1850's
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 February 23 01:42 GMT (UK) »
I can't find anything about a banquet, however there is a somewhat detailed article about a Wesleyan service that occurred on the Norwood just before she sailed. Happy to send you a copy.
Tuesday,  Apr. 18, 1854
Publication: Liverpool Mercury

Offline haney

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 February 23 01:49 GMT (UK) »
Oh Maddy so lovely to hear from you again.  You pop up everywhere.  Would love copy of what you found.  Kindest regards Dianna

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 21 February 23 03:12 GMT (UK) »
Now worries! Not sure why I didn't see this article when I was looking for the Norwood previously. I'll send you a pm.  :D

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 21 February 23 07:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Haney - in case you are not aware of this site - I live in Liverpool in an area known as Garston - the last Dock heading in to South Liverpool ..

https://www.old-merseytimes.co.uk/
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline haney

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 21 February 23 07:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi garstonite
   Thanks for your reply.  I'm just looking at this site! I may contact the owner and see if they can advise me where else to look.  I have the Liverpool archives on my list and the Lancashire Archives.

I am at the moment trying to track down (if it exists) any Chronicle that may have been published on the "Norwood" during her voyage to Melbourne.

I have found a couple online (in the State Library in Victoria) and they are really amazing! To think that a newspaper/gazette was printed on the actual ship is incredible. 

I imagine you have used all of the archives in the Liverpool area!  Thanks for your reply and time.  Kind regards Dianna

Offline ALAMO2008

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 21 February 23 09:12 GMT (UK) »
In the Cabinets on the 3rd floor Liverpool Central Library Archive Dept
There are Microfiche of Customs Records for those years
Of All Ships Arriving and Sailing from Merseyside
The Records shows Ship Name, Owner Captain Destinations Date and Time and Cargo
I have used them myself along with adverts in the Newspapers of Sailings
CHAPMAN ROBINSON McKAY O'MALLEY

Offline willyam

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 21 February 23 11:36 GMT (UK) »
Dianna,

If you go to Welsh Newspapers Online: search for "Norwood" (exactly as is); choose the year 1854; then select the Monmouthshire Merlin newspaper; and specify the 'News' category - you should be rewarded with just 4 results. 3 of those relate to The Norwood, of which 1 of them specifically references the crossing that you are interested in.

Willyam

Offline haney

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 21 February 23 18:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi ALAMO2008 Thanks very much for that information, very concise.  The library won't have any excuse then when I email them not to find the shipping records. 

Also willyam many thanks I have just looked at the Welsh Newspapers online, followed your instructions and have now snipped the articles.  Wonderful thanks to both of you.

maddys52 Good morning I have sent you an email.  Hope it didn't go to your spam/junk mail.  Kindest regards to all of you.  Dianna