Author Topic: Dr Peter Fowlie: can I discover the amount left in his estate?  (Read 268 times)

Offline queencorgi1

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Dr Peter Fowlie: can I discover the amount left in his estate?
« on: Tuesday 21 February 23 15:37 GMT (UK) »
I am confused by what I've read about probate arrangements in Scotland! For England and Wales the amount of an estate is usually listed after the probate listing, but I understand this isn't the same for Scotland. Dr Fowlie died in 1943 in St Andrew's and I would like to know the size of his estate (for comparative purposes with other unrelated medical individuals -- not a family connection). Can anyone tell me if there's any way to do this?
Condick; Bull (Herefordshire only); Layard; Wilmot; Southgate; Fowlie (Singapore branch); Usher (Dundrum); Kelley (Lancashire);

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • James Dodson, beautifully restored by mozza29
    • View Profile
Re: Dr Peter Fowlie: can I discover the amount left in his estate?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 February 23 15:47 GMT (UK) »
Dundee Courier and Advertiser, 1 Feb 1944.

Estates.
Fife.
Dr. Peter Fowlie, formerly of Singapore, latterly of Canmore Private Hotel St. Andrews. £15,459 12s 6d
Robbins - Wolverhampton.
Spooner - Monmouthshire & Wolverhampton.
Warner & Loundes - Dudley/West Bromwich.
Dod(g)son - Heysham/Liverpool/Wolverhampton

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 February 23 15:47 GMT (UK) »
Scottish wills after 1925 are not on line. See here for guidance:
https://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/research/guides/wills-and-testaments
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline queencorgi1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 21 February 23 15:50 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both for your incredibly speedy responses, and Jool, thank you in particular. That was the figure I wanted!
Condick; Bull (Herefordshire only); Layard; Wilmot; Southgate; Fowlie (Singapore branch); Usher (Dundrum); Kelley (Lancashire);

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 21 February 23 17:08 GMT (UK) »
I am confused by what I've read about probate arrangements in Scotland!
There is no such thing as 'probate' in Scots Law. The corresponding process in Scotland is Confirmation.

GrahamSimons has referred you to the correct source for information about Confirmations.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline queencorgi1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 21 February 23 17:14 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both for your help. I only needed the total amount of Fowlie's estate on this occasion, but I'm sure that another Scotsman will come along, and it is very helpful to have a reliable source to turn to on this topic.