Author Topic: St Neots St Mary's parish baptisms - WILES  (Read 420 times)

Offline burrito

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: St Neots St Mary's parish baptisms - WILES
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 23 February 23 15:55 GMT (UK) »
Since I've downloaded the register I was looking for, I'll mark this topic as completed. I think my search is leading me to Bedfordshire.

Thanks for the assistance!  :)

Offline burrito

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: St Neots St Mary's parish baptisms - WILES
« Reply #19 on: Friday 24 February 23 18:37 GMT (UK) »
The register did prove very useful in that I was able to differentiate and eliminate different William Wiles(es) I'd seen reference to: the victualler, and the corn-factor. Given the baptism dates of their children, I now know neither one could be the William (father or son) I'm searching for.

I did find an 1841 census record for a William (farmer, 80) and Ann (70) in Little Catworth (part of St Neots district), they may be the Wm. and Ann m. in Little Staughton in 1785 and he may be the son of Thomas of Eaton Socon mentioned in the will I referenced earlier. Then he is not the same as the widower m. in Ravensden a year later. No clear evidence though.

I'm wondering if the baptism records I found for Thomas (1759) and William (1760) in Southoe are the right ones. Parents listed as Thomas and Mary which match, but they're common names. If they were born in Eaton Socon, why would they be bapt. in Southoe? It's nearby, but wouldn't they prefer their home parish? Unless they lived in Southoe temporarily.