Author Topic: Humphries Family  (Read 640 times)

Offline AmandaP

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Humphries Family
« on: Wednesday 22 February 23 08:52 GMT (UK) »
I am currently looking for clues and suggestions for finding the origins of my great x 4 grandmother Sarah Humphries.

• According to her death certificate she was born around 1776.

• Married Thomas Alder, son of Robert Alder and Mary Iddols, in Kings Stanley on 16 July 1792. Record states that Sarah was of the parish.

• Son Anthony Alder was baptised in Kings Stanley on 7 July, 1793.

• Husband Thomas Alder died and was buried in Kings Stanley on 25 July 1800.

• Married William Gabb on 22 June 1801.

• Son William Gabb baptised in Kings Stanley on 15 November, 1801.

• Sarah and son Anthony subject to settlement examination in 1804, presumably when the family moved in with her father in law in Stonehouse.

• Son John born around 1807 in Stonehouse. No baptism record exists but other documents comfirm that Sarah Humphries and William Gabb were John’s parents. John and his family were non-conformists so it is thought that no baptism record for him could be indicative that Sarah and William were part of the Stonehouse Congrational Church for a period.

• On 21 March, 1815, two year old Elizabeth Gabb was buried in Stonehouse. A corresponding baptism has not been found so possibly the daughter of William and Sarah, as per for John.

• If the family had been part of the Congregational Church, they returned to St Cyrs, CoE in Stonehouse in 1814. Daughter Mary was baptised there on the 20th of June.

• Son John married Hester Walkley in Kings Stanley on 15 October 1826.

• Son William, soldier of Stonehouse, warrant for being a putative father, “the father of child with which Mary Hopton is pregnant.” 23 October, 1827.

• Son William married his second cousin Sarah Adelaide Gabb (James) in Portsea, Hampshire on 27 October, 1827. William was a corporal attached to the HMS Ganges.

• Husband William Gabb passed away in Stonehouse and was buried on 3 September 1834.

• Son William immigrated to Canada, then USA sometime between 1828-1834.

• Son John and his family immigrated to Australia at the end of 1837.

• Daughter Mary married George Dangerfield in Stonehouse on 17 August 1838.

• 1841 Census: Sarah lived in Oldends Lane, Stonehouse with William & Mary Harris, and John Miles. Census states that Sarah was English.

• Died in Stonehouse on 6 April, 1849 “aged 73”, was buried at St Cyrs on the 10th.

The record for Sarah’s first marriage states that she was of the parish, however I cannot find a baptism in Kings Stanley for her. I cannot find a baptism for her in the villages adjoining Kings Stanley either. I have looked at the DNA but nothing obvious is standing out.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: Humphries Family
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 22 February 23 09:58 GMT (UK) »
Possible?

Sarah HUMPHRIES, bapt 19 May 1776, St Michael, Withington
Parents JOHN/MARY
Siblings;
Hannah 1770
Mary 1772
Richard 1773
William 1779
John 1781

Marriage same Church 11 Oct 1769
John   *HUMPHRIES to Mary   *HARMER
Bachelor/Spinster

JOHN H buried 06 Feb 1814 age 72 (c 1742)
MARY H buried 20 Jul 1823 age 75, abode Colesbourne (c 1748)

The Sarah above does not appear to have married in Withington so may be yours

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 22 February 23 10:06 GMT (UK) »
Are you sure of your facts AmandaP

The 1801 Marriage of Sarah ALDER/William GABB on FreeREG has her as a Spinster*

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Heb66

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 22 February 23 13:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Amanda,
Your post interested me as I was born and brought up in Kings Stanley and Leonard Stanley and now live a stones throw from St Cyr's church in Stonehouse.
All my maternal ancestors are from Kings Stanley.
I have a historical book on King's Stanley written and researched by a local resident I have finished with.
Would you like it ? I am more than happy to post to Australia if you would like to PM me your address.
Warmest regards...Helen.
Payne, Woodchester Glos / Kings Norton Worcs.
Luker, Glos.
Davis, Smith, Evans, Lockstone,Latham, Kings Stanley.
Bingham; Stroud, Glos.
Gore: Glos/ Plymouth.
Rodway: Woodchester, Glos. Wanted Henry Rodway born 1849. Missing since 1881.
Morgan: Nettleton Wilts / Stroud Glos.

Offline AmandaP

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 22 February 23 15:01 GMT (UK) »
Are you sure of your facts AmandaP

The 1801 Marriage of Sarah ALDER/William GABB on FreeREG has her as a Spinster*

100% sure Trish, that’s a transcription error. I have copies of the original parish records and there is no mention lf spinster, bachelor, widow etc. But by the time my great x 3 grandfather married his third wife here in Australia, marriage records included the names of both parents and in the case of mother we record maiden name. I always look at the originals where available as there are too many errors in transcriptions. Lately I am submitting transcription corrections to ancestry.com on a weekly basis. Another example of transcription error, ancestry have Sarah’s first husband as being buried in 1801, but when you look at the digitised copy of the origininal it is definitely 1800.

Offline AmandaP

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 22 February 23 15:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Amanda,
Your post interested me as I was born and brought up in Kings Stanley and Leonard Stanley and now live a stones throw from St Cyr's church in Stonehouse.
All my maternal ancestors are from Kings Stanley.
I have a historical book on King's Stanley written and researched by a local resident I have finished with.
Would you like it ? I am more than happy to post to Australia if you would like to PM me your address.
Warmest regards...Helen.

Hi Helen,

That’s very kind of you. If you mean the book by Peter Griffin, I have that one, I bought a copy from his daughter last year. :)

I have deep roots in that area and hope to visit one day. My Gabbs are an old Stonehouse family and my line is confirmed back to the late 1400s with the help of Stonehouse History Group.
If you’ve read issue 3 of their journal where they talk about the Spa Inn and Oldends Hall, that’s my Gabb line. I had them double check my research for what I had for 6x and 7x great grandparents and then they sent me back several more generations. My Walkley, Haines, Harmer and Knee ancestors are from Kings Stanley in 1700s back.  :)

Offline AmandaP

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 22 February 23 15:36 GMT (UK) »
Possible?

Sarah HUMPHRIES, bapt 19 May 1776, St Michael, Withington
Parents JOHN/MARY
Siblings;
Hannah 1770
Mary 1772
Richard 1773
William 1779
John 1781

Marriage same Church 11 Oct 1769
John   *HUMPHRIES to Mary   *HARMER
Bachelor/Spinster

JOHN H buried 06 Feb 1814 age 72 (c 1742)
MARY H buried 20 Jul 1823 age 75, abode Colesbourne (c 1748)

The Sarah above does not appear to have married in Withington so may be yours

Trish :)

Thank you, I’ll see of this leads somewhere. I’ve noticed the Humphries name seemed to be a more popular around the villages surrounding Cheltenham. :)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 23 February 23 10:31 GMT (UK) »
Its great you actually have the Parish Records and that FreeREg has a error.

With the other stuff I posted I hope it works out and that is your Sarah :)

Offline tony73

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 08 March 23 11:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi, the Withington Sarah Humphris is my 4 x great grandmother.  I have her marrying Robert Miles at Withington on 19 Nov 1800 so I don't think she's your ancestor I'm afraid. 

The Withington parish register for her marriage has her name as Elizabeth but the signature is "the mark of Sarah Humphris".  The BT version of this entry has her name as Sarah.