Author Topic: William Clark Photographer Buckie  (Read 333 times)

Offline extattiehowker

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Clark Photographer Buckie
« on: Wednesday 22 February 23 14:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi  sleuths out there!!
I have large photos on card obviously around 1890-1915 age but maybe the dates can be found by knowing when William Clark of Buckie had his studio.  I have some taken in a studio at Baron Street Buckie and some taken in Low Street Buckie. What dates was he operating at in these locations is the question??
Wilson,Wood,Davidson,Lawrence,Mckay.Cardno Stewart,Munro,Christie,Grant,Laurance,Dingwall,Gibb,McLeod,McRae

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Clark Photographer Buckie
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 February 23 22:54 GMT (UK) »
Can you post a scan of the photos for us to look at please.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 23 February 23 23:23 GMT (UK) »
The Banffshire Journal of 10th June 1897 announces that William Clark has opened a new studio in Low Street. However, it does not say he closed his old premises in Baron Street. He may have had two branches.

Further investigation shows that he started business in Buckie about 1878 and his original premises were in Baron Street. They were altered and extended in May 1883. The Baron Street studio closed when he moved to Low Street in 1897. The Low Street premises were earmarked as the site of a new bowling green and in an advertisement dated from Low Street on 15th May 1901, he announced his intention to move to new premises in Baron "Lane". By July 1901 he is announcing that he has removed to his new premises in Baron "Street". When he died in 1909, the business was continued by two of his daughters, with the assistance of a brother, who had a photographer's business in Huntly.

In conclusion, any picture you have with the address Low Street was taken between June 1897 and May 1901. Photographs with a Baron Street address may be before or after these dates and you will have to rely on things like costume to pinpoint when they were taken.

Offline extattiehowker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 24 February 23 10:44 GMT (UK) »
Wow some really useful info there because I have a lot of photos done at those studios and this will help me date and identify the relatives. As requested I attach pic of 2 of my great aunts at those studios. I wonder what their ages are? Any guesses would be appreciated.
Thanks

Jim
Wilson,Wood,Davidson,Lawrence,Mckay.Cardno Stewart,Munro,Christie,Grant,Laurance,Dingwall,Gibb,McLeod,McRae

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 24 February 23 17:35 GMT (UK) »
1st. Edwardian.
2nd. late 1890's - 1900.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/