Author Topic: Robert Young 1950s Dublin  (Read 300 times)

Offline dmc1234

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Robert Young 1950s Dublin
« on: Wednesday 22 February 23 16:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi there

I'm trying to locate details for a Robert Young who lived at 5a New Row South Dublin in 1952 and possibly for longer.

Also does anyone have information on whether there was an mother and baby home on Roebuck Road around this time?

thanks very much for any information

Online QueenoftheWest

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Young 1950s Dublin
« Reply #1 on: Friday 24 February 23 00:22 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat!

I'm afraid we will need more information to help you with your search, as the information you have provided is rather vague.

How do you know that Robert lived at 5a New Row? Was it from a certificate you have, a newspaper article or personal knowledge? How old do you think Robert was in 1952; can you give an estimated birth year?

Could I also ask what details you are hoping we can find for you regarding Robert? Please note, we only research deceased people on RootsChat.

I have searched through the newspaper archives and can find no reference to a mother and baby home on Roebuck Road.

Queenie  :)
Fidler - West Ilsley, Berkshire
Hamlin/Hamlyn - Long Sutton & Martock, Somerset
Head - Marlborough & Alton Priors, Wiltshire
Minson - Kingstone, Somerset/Symondsbury, Dorset
Owsley - Buckland St Mary, Somerset
Pyke - (West) Weeke/Wick, Pewsey, Wiltshire
Salisbury - Dowlish Wake/West Dowlish, Somerset

Offline dmc1234

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 24 February 23 08:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Queenie

Thank you and thanks very much for replying, apologies for being a bit vague wasn't sure how much info is useful . Basically I believe Robert Young is likely to be deceased but not certain on this.
My mum was born in St Kevins hospital in 1953 , and we believe cared for in somekind of home in Roebuck Road until 1955, her birth mother was in England at that time, then her mother brought her to England , in 1957 her mother was imprisoned for child cruelty and my mother placed in care where she grew up with a lovely family, however didn't have any information on birth family which has been hard. We have since had contact with birth relatives who had some letters related to her mother and gave the name Robert Young as the biological father , and the address of 5a New row in Dublin , which I have confirmed he did live at via Thoms Directory but can't find any more info on who he was etc.
My mum would like to know more but without a DOB for him it is proving hard. Many thanks for taking the time Dee

Online QueenoftheWest

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 13 March 23 15:18 GMT (UK) »
Civil registration records can be viewed for free on:
https://www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/

If Robert was born in Ireland between 1864 and 1921 and died in Ireland before 1971, then you will be able to find these records on the website above.

However, with a common name such as Robert Young, the search will be difficult.

I'm afraid I must suggest the most useful weapon in solving a family mystery: DNA testing. I know some people are hesitant to test, but it is truly the best way forward for situations such as these. Although it obviously comes with an added risk, as you never know who or what you will find.

Ancestry has the biggest database, and my Irish father has lots of strong matches through it. It is something to consider in your search.

Queenie  :)
Fidler - West Ilsley, Berkshire
Hamlin/Hamlyn - Long Sutton & Martock, Somerset
Head - Marlborough & Alton Priors, Wiltshire
Minson - Kingstone, Somerset/Symondsbury, Dorset
Owsley - Buckland St Mary, Somerset
Pyke - (West) Weeke/Wick, Pewsey, Wiltshire
Salisbury - Dowlish Wake/West Dowlish, Somerset

Offline dmc1234

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 13 March 23 18:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Queenie

Thanks so much for your reply and advice. Yes the common name is the problem. I need to find a middle initial or something to narrow it down. We have actually tried the ancestry DNA and it threw up some 2nd cousins but nothing linking to this name. It is frustrating not to have more details to work with , although I was pleased to find him in the Thoms it didn't give anymore clues. Thanks again for replying, I would like to find a nugget more info to help my mum get some closure on this issue,  her early life and origins has been a true mystery to her and I think some straight facts would give her a bit of peace of mind in many ways . Best wishes