Author Topic: Charlton nxt Woolwich pr.  (Read 635 times)

Offline mickmack1942

• RootsChat Veteran
  • A bit of old Blarney castle
    • View Profile
Re: Charlton nxt Woolwich pr.
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 25 February 23 12:36 GMT (UK) »

Never mind  trish it shows you are a real human not just a
             name on a bit of paper, by the way trish is my good lady also..

mick
Pringle..N-yorks.  Swann..Nthamptonshire. Newman..Wilts.  Whites...Surrey/london.  Filce..London/surrey.  McCarthy...Co Cork Eire.
Atkinson...N-Yorks.    Irvine... Sothern England
Cook...glouc/shire.    Alderton... Thingoe/Suffolk

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 25 February 23 18:41 GMT (UK) »
Going back to your original question, I believe the relevant parish registers are held in the London Metropolitan Archives.

The parish registers for St Luke, Charlton, are not at LMA - they hold only the BTs (up to 1837), and these are not digitised. The parish registers are held by Royal Heritage Greenwich (formerly Greenwich Heritage Service), who offer a free half-hour of research time for look-ups ...
https://www.greenwichheritage.org/heritage/#archives

However the LMA say that all these PRs have been digitised (at least for the period you are interested in) and are available through Ancestry

Please do not be misled. This blanket statement is widely used throughout the LMA catalogue, but it is not always accurate. There are very many LMA items that are supposedly digitised by Ancestry which (for various reasons) have not been uploaded. This is readily acknowledged by LMA, but unfortunately the catalogue doesn’t always reflect reality.

Offline mickmack1942

• RootsChat Veteran
  • A bit of old Blarney castle
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 25 February 23 20:40 GMT (UK) »

Many thanks Bookbox, I'll rummage that address and see what transpires one never
      knows it may be Christmas, RootsChat are a mine of information so many folks with
      that little bit of info...Thanks..

mick
Pringle..N-yorks.  Swann..Nthamptonshire. Newman..Wilts.  Whites...Surrey/london.  Filce..London/surrey.  McCarthy...Co Cork Eire.
Atkinson...N-Yorks.    Irvine... Sothern England
Cook...glouc/shire.    Alderton... Thingoe/Suffolk

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 25 February 23 21:21 GMT (UK) »
Bookbox,
Thanks for the information about the LMA and some of its shortcomings. I've used the archive a few times over the years, although not for PRs, and have noticed that some of their cataloguing is so-so. Perhaps I should have been more sceptical.
I wasn't aware of the Royal Greenwich Heritage service. Do you know where I can find details of what they hold? Their website is singularly uninformative and the archives are not open for personal visits at present.

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 25 February 23 21:34 GMT (UK) »
Royal Heritage Greenwich don’t appear to have an online catalogue, but they hold most of the records that were at the former Greenwich Heritage Centre when it used to be at the Royal Artillery barracks in Woolwich.

The holdings are still indexed on TNA Discovery as being at the Greenwich Heritage Centre. So you can use the Advanced Search page, and restrict the results by entering Greenwich Heritage Centre as the holding archive (in the ‘Held By ...’ section, at the foot of the page).

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/advanced-search

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 25 February 23 21:37 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Bookbox. That could be a useful resource.