Author Topic: Shoreditch Workhouse Admissions 1860 / 61  (Read 475 times)

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Shoreditch Workhouse Admissions 1860 / 61
« on: Thursday 23 February 23 17:05 GMT (UK) »
If anyone has access to the SHoreditch Workhouse admissions ...

We've established that in the 1861 census there are a Francis and Thomas Spooner (age 7 and 4 respectively) listed at the Shoreditch Industrial School ... which was the school associated with the Shoreditch Workhouse.

I am reasonably confident that these are my great great grandfather (Thomas) and great x3 uncle (Francis) ... and if so then they can be placed at home with their parents in April 1860.

So this gives a roughly 12 month window during which they must have been admitted to the workhouse (April 1860 - census night 1861).

If anyone who has access to the Shoreditch Workhouse admissions registers could take a quick peep and see what they can find on these two, I should be immensely grateful.

If they are the children of Edgar Spooner (as I think they are) I should also be really interested to know if he was admitted at the same time, or if he just took the children there after his wife abandoned him.
All identified names up to and including my great x5 grandparents: Abbot Andrews Baker Blenc(h)ow Brothers Burrows Chambers Clifton Cornwell Escott Fisher Foster Frost Giddins Groom Hardwick Harris Hart Hayho(e) Herman Holcomb(e) Holmes Hurley King-Spooner Martindale Mason Mitchell Murphy Neves Oakey Packman Palmer Peabody Pearce Pettit(t) Piper Pottenger Pound Purkis Rackliff(e) Richardson Scotford Sherman Sinden Snear Southam Spooner Stephenson Varing Weatherley Webb Whitney Wiles Wright

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Shoreditch Workhouse Admissions 1860 / 61
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 February 23 23:10 GMT (UK) »
There are relatively few nominal registers surviving for Shoreditch before the 1870s, and no standard daily admission/discharge registers at all for the 1860s.

There is one ‘Alphabetical’ Register for the workhouse for the period up to 1870 (SHBG/139/001), but it may not be complete, and your Spooner people do not appear in it, as far as I can see.

For the industrial school at Brentwood, there is only a single register for this period (SHBG 171), supposedly covering 1855-1870, but in practice there are very few admission entries before 1865, and nothing for Spooner that I can see. 

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 23 February 23 23:15 GMT (UK) »
OK bookbox, thank you.

While the results may not be great, what IS great is that you went to so much trouble for me.  :D
All identified names up to and including my great x5 grandparents: Abbot Andrews Baker Blenc(h)ow Brothers Burrows Chambers Clifton Cornwell Escott Fisher Foster Frost Giddins Groom Hardwick Harris Hart Hayho(e) Herman Holcomb(e) Holmes Hurley King-Spooner Martindale Mason Mitchell Murphy Neves Oakey Packman Palmer Peabody Pearce Pettit(t) Piper Pottenger Pound Purkis Rackliff(e) Richardson Scotford Sherman Sinden Snear Southam Spooner Stephenson Varing Weatherley Webb Whitney Wiles Wright

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 24 February 23 10:35 GMT (UK) »
The daughter Mary from Edgar's first marriage was in the work house 14 January 1854 in Islington age 11.

Born 30 July 1842 baptized 4 March 1857 St James Westminster, daughter of Edgar and Janet.

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 24 February 23 11:10 GMT (UK) »
He put his children from his first marriage in the work house in Islington for a second or possibly more times 6 November 1847. (re admission)

ADDED they were discharged to Edgar Spooner of St James Westminster on 10 November 1847

Mary age 5
Phillis 3
Janet 20 months?
----------
The first daughter Louisa Mary King 1841  died 1841 registered Holborn
Mary 1842 registered Holborn
Phillis 1844 registered St Giles

I haven't found a birth for Janet circa 1846 but since her mother died 1846 age 26 probably from child birth complications it may have been overlooked.
----------
Jannot Spooner registered St Pancras age 26
Jannotte Spooner of Aylesbury Place Clerkenwell on the burial age 26

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 24 February 23 19:02 GMT (UK) »
The daughter Mary from Edgar's first marriage was in the work house 14 January 1854 in Islington age 11.

Which workhouse is that?

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 24 February 23 19:05 GMT (UK) »
And ... not meaning to be ungrateful guys, but I've got all the births of his children (all sixteen of them) and the deaths of twelve of them. So there's no need to post them if you come across them.

It's my intention once I've tied up all the loose ends to post a full bioraphy post to assist any future researchers of this line with all the information and references in one place ...

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 24 February 23 19:08 GMT (UK) »
I haven't found a birth for Janet circa 1846 but since her mother died 1846 age 26 probably from child birth complications it may have been overlooked.

Actually, she died in the London Fever Hospital of fever (2 weeks).

But like you, I have Janet's death only, not her birth. As you say, probably overlooked with everything else that was going on. And once she's dead, what harm is there in not having registered that she was alive in the first place?

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 24 February 23 19:37 GMT (UK) »
Rough settlement exam for Edgar Spooner, 6 Nov 1847, Islington
https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/collections/1557/images/32966_625537_0384-00205

I now see there is one in Islington for Elizabeth (nee Escott), dated 29 Dec 1853
It references the first one.
I think Edgar had left her. Interesting given what happened later.
https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/collections/1557/images/32966_636672_1849-00089

But you don't have ancestry?