Author Topic: Brownlow/Kernon-Kiernan/Wakefield/ Manchester and Cheshire  (Read 231 times)

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Brownlow/Kernon-Kiernan/Wakefield/ Manchester and Cheshire
« on: Thursday 23 February 23 21:27 GMT (UK) »
I have been looking for years for earliest paternal line's origins (and his first wife, also my ancestor)
Joseph Hibbert was b. ca 1799, Lancashire, died 1852, Salford.  He married ca 1819, Ann ?.  I have not found his baptism or his first marriage, but have his second marriage to Ellen Clare.

Something I was hoping to give me a clue was the fact that his daughter, Harriet Hibbert Fletcher, b. 1824, and full-sister of my ancestor William, was living with Mary Kernon in 1851 (am quite sure Harriet's husband, William Fletcher, was alive but cannot find him in 1851, Harriet is listed as married).  Also with them is Harriet's son John.  They are at 5 Sykes Court, Hulme, Lancs.

In 1861 Mary Kernon is living next door, at 6 Pitt St., Hulme and Harriet is next door at #4.  Both ladies have 19 year old female lodgers with them, and Harriet has her two surviving children, John and Elizabeth Ann.  William died in 1858, and two other children died as infants.

Through doing a lot of digging, I am confident that Mary is the Mary Brownlow who married John Kiernan (notice difference in name) in 1838, daughter of Robert Brownlow.  I found a marriage 1 Apr 1862, of Mary Kiernan, widow, daughter of Robert Brownlow, address is 6 Pitt Street, Hulme. She marries Joseph Wakefield.

Mary's age fluctuates a bit, from being born ca 1805 to ca 1812. 

I found them living in Cheshire (Church Coppenhall) in 1871 and 1881.  Their exact deaths are a bit hazy, but I think he is the Joseph who dies in Congleton dist. in 1888.  Mary I am not sure about.

My hope is that Mary is somehow related to Harriet, but proving it might be impossible.  I have not evidence that Mary had any children, so that means a DNA match is unlikely.  Hoping someone has these folks in their tree.

Offline Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Brownlow/Kernon-Kiernan/Wakefield/ Manchester and Cheshire
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 February 23 22:41 GMT (UK) »

Hi,

Do you know if William had a sisiter called Eliza?

I found this baptism, unfortunately I can't see the image to see if there are more details,

Eliza HIBBERT
Baptism Date:  30 Oct 1825
Baptism Place:    Manchester, Lancashire
Father:  Joseph HIBBERT
Mother:  Ann WHITTAKER

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:JWHY-CXT

Regards,
Daisy
All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 23 February 23 23:11 GMT (UK) »
That Joseph was a butcher, Daisy so not the right one, sadly.   :-\
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 23 February 23 23:27 GMT (UK) »
Yes, my Joseph was a dyer.  He and Ann likely did have a daughter named Elizabeth, who died as an infant.
Thanks for looking!
(I have been looking for Joseph's birth and marriage for over 30 years, still optimistic I might find something someday.)

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 24 February 23 15:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Could this be the marriage 14 Nov 1819 Prestwich St Mary
Joseph Hibbert and Ann Lees both of this parish
both made x
wit regular Edward Reford and Thomas Grimshaw

But they did have a son bapt 23 Feb 1822 where Joseph is described as a hatter.
So perhaps not

Ciderdrinker

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 24 February 23 16:42 GMT (UK) »
The 1851 2223/21 census is badly damaged.
His birthplace looks to begin with ‘S’ and one site has this as ‘Somerset’. In 1841, I think he is ‘born in county’.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 24 February 23 18:59 GMT (UK) »
Yes I did eliminate that couple, if memory serves I found them on at least one census.

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 24 February 23 19:01 GMT (UK) »
The 1851 2223/21 census is badly damaged.
His birthplace looks to begin with ‘S’ and one site has this as ‘Somerset’. In 1841, I think he is ‘born in county’.

Yes, every once in a while I look at this one, and try to decipher it!  The Somerset reference always makes me laugh, very unlikely as there were lots and lots of Hibberts in the Manchester area as well as Cheshire and into Derbyshire, but hardly any in Somerset!  Hibbard and Hubbard are more common in southern England.