Author Topic: Charlie the MilkmanCleaning the actual photograph (not the digital image of it)?  (Read 580 times)

Offline miked11

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hello photo people.  I found this in a photograph album that my uncle owned: Charles Day 1905-1981.  My guess is that it's taken about 1930.  Nobody in the family can tell me who the people are in the photo, none of them is Charlie the milkman.  It's half of a post card and I'm assuming that it was never sent as the address is Oswestry but Charlie lived in Manchester somewhere near the old Manchester City football stadium and it's from his family album that our family ended up with after his death.  I'm assuming that they are employees of LHC (Lancashire Hygienic Dairies) because that's where he worked.  I've already made a high resolution uncompressed scanned image from the photo from which the jpeg image attached is derived.  My question is that looking at the image, there appears to be a lot of surface grime. Is there a way of cleaning the photograph so that I can obtain a better quality scanned image without damaging it?

Offline loord74

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Charlie the MilkmanCleaning the actual photograph (not the digital image of it)?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 February 23 12:23 GMT (UK) »
enhanced photo

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Charlie the MilkmanCleaning the actual photograph (not the digital image of it)?
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 26 February 23 12:58 GMT (UK) »
My guess would be 1920s.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 26 February 23 13:04 GMT (UK) »
It;s tricky cleaning up old prints without damaging them. I think a good scan and  digital clean might be best.

I can help you with the address ~

Geuffordd   - there is a chapel near Guilsfield, Montgomeryshire ( https://coflein.gov.uk/en/site/11258/ )

Pen-y-Garnedd, which is in Llanrhaeadr ym Mochnant, postal address Oswestry.   It's to the south west of Oswestry.

Gadget

Add - sorry I didn;t see that this was your first post - sorry- Welcome to the site  :)

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 26 February 23 14:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mike and welcome to Rootschat, I agree with Gadget, the surface of the photo is very delicate and needs an expert in my opinion.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Online japeflakes

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 26 February 23 18:47 GMT (UK) »

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 26 February 23 19:22 GMT (UK) »
I've just found some advice on cleaning  from Prue, who was one of our Mods a while ago, and by profession a photo conservator:

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=583336.msg4348438#msg4348438
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline miked11

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 27 February 23 12:08 GMT (UK) »
Wow.  Thanks for such a warm welcome.  That is more than helpful.  1920s is a very likely date as Charles started work at the dairy in 1920.   I will NOT be attempting to clean the originals and will stick with digital restoration.  I want to thank loord74 and Japeflakes for your restorations.  I really wasn't expecting that as I posted the picture to show how dirty the photograph is, but am very glad you did the restoration and will keep a copy of your restored images.  Thanks also to Gadget.  I do wonder how you found that address, I'd been searching google maps myself but hadn't found anything conclusive. 

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 27 February 23 13:02 GMT (UK) »
.  Thanks also to Gadget.  I do wonder how you found that address, I'd been searching google maps myself but hadn't found anything conclusive.

I'll tell you a secret - I was born and grew up 6 miles from Oswestry (Welsh border) and quite a few of my ancestors were from the Llanrhaeadr ym Mochnant area.

;D

Gadget