Author Topic: Hamilton / St Paul, Ontario records  (Read 704 times)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline alison300

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hamilton / St Paul, Ontario records
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 26 February 23 16:25 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Sandra.  I'm finding this so confusing.  I've been going through all my records.  I've looked again at the image I posted and it looks like he crossed from Canada to the US on 20 Jan. 1912 (am I reading that correctly?).  I just wish I could find out when he crossed from England.

On the workhouse records, Amy says she'd been "deserted" so I'm finding it hard to believe she sailed with Edwin to Canada, but it seems they may have both been in Toronto.  My brain is hurting :(
Wright (West Ham, Stratford, Cripplegate)
Widenstrom (Chicago and Minnesota)
Swain (Cripplegate, St Lukes)
Wolfe (St Giles in the Fields)
Willis (Gt. Leighs; Brentford)
Bryant (Bristol, Glos)
Searle (Kent/Surrey)
Keyworth (Yorkshire)
Biggs (Harrow Weald)
Collins (Harrow Weald and Wiltshire)
Langston (Harrow Weald)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 26 February 23 16:39 GMT (UK) »

The card asks "Have you ever been in the USA" - the answer was from 1908  until 24-12-1911
(don't forget the American way of writing dates is month/day/year

The naturalisation agrees with the passenger lists dates in 1913.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline alison300

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 26 February 23 17:42 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Sandra - that is really interesting  :)
Bryant (Bristol, Glos)
Searle (Kent/Surrey)
Keyworth (Yorkshire)
Biggs (Harrow Weald)
Langston (Harrow Weald)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 26 February 23 19:37 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Sandra.  I'm finding this so confusing.  I've been going through all my records.  I've looked again at the image I posted and it looks like he crossed from Canada to the US on 20 Jan. 1912 (am I reading that correctly?).  I just wish I could find out when he crossed from England.

On the workhouse records, Amy says she'd been "deserted" so I'm finding it hard to believe she sailed with Edwin to Canada, but it seems they may have both been in Toronto.  My brain is hurting :(

From what you’ve posted about the situation, I think there is a possibility that she found out where he was living and sailed weeks, months, or years later, possibly without his knowledge.  She may not have had the money to sail right away.  Since we’ve not been able to confirm her existence after a certain point (was it 1909?, I don’t remember), I’m wondering if she decided at some point, and for some reason, to leave England.

I will “transcribe” the details from the passenger list that you posted, but it will take a few moments…
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 26 February 23 20:07 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again everyone.  I have found the following on Ancestry and would be keen to know your thoughts on these as I can't read/understand very well.

This is what I think, but I could be incorrect (I can’t read a couple of things, so will leave them out):
Name: Edwin Egerton, alias Bradley
Born Liverpool, age 32, male.  Possibly “Married   Single”  - cannot read what is handwritten.
Race: English.  Nationality: England
Last permanent residence: Toronto, Ontario
Name and address of nearest relative or friend in country whence alien came: father Charles William(?) Egerton. 37 Sydeham? Hill?, Bristol, England
Ever in U.S.: yes, from 1908 to Dec 24, 1911, in Boston, Massachusetts.  Passage paid by Self.
Destination: Boston, Mass.  425 (or #25) Massachusetts Avenue. [Cannot read the remainder]
Money ?  $50.00 (dollars). [that he had with him]
Height: 5’  5 1/2”.  Fair complexion, brown hair, blue eyes
Seaport and date of landing: New York, November 12, 1908, on board Oceanic

I don’t know what the top line on the card means, sorry.
  [Buffalo, New York. January 20, 1912. BSI - C? Tax]

I will be back later to help.  Apologies for leaving.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 26 February 23 21:26 GMT (UK) »
Interesting article Amy singing at the wedding - good find RK.  Wonder if she stayed as a friend to that couple ?
No luck on the passenger lists - found a Miss Amy Bryant returning Montreal to the Liverpool 26 July 1914 - on the Laurentic - shop assistant aged 23 years.  (birth would be 2 years out ?)

Sandra

Is it possible that the above was your Amy?
Possible scenario: She sailed back to England after Edwin settled in Massachusetts.  Possibly was hired by him as a shop assistant to his decorating business, he settled in Massachusetts, and she left for England, only to return to Toronto years later.

Did any significant English relatives pass away around 1914, to cause Amy to return to England?

Maybe his traveling dates don’t work out with the scenario, though.

My lunch break is over, back to doing home projects.  :(  Genealogy is a lot more fun and interesting.  ;D

Added: Amy was not in the 1914 or 1915 Toronto Directory.

Offline alison300

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 26 February 23 22:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lisa,
Thank you for the transcription - very interesting that he used an alias.  Maybe it was because of the scandal as a result of his affair in England. 

I think Amy singing at the wedding could be 'my' Amy.  Very plausible.  Sorry I missed the bit from Sandra about an Amy Bryant returning to Liverpool in 1914.  Her age being a couple of years out doesn't worry me as she may not have known her true DOB so that could be here.

I do think Amy left the UK before the 1911 census but had never considered her coming back (although I haven't found her on the 1939 Register).  I think I'll go back to looking for deaths in the UK after 1914. 

As far as I know, none of Amy's family left the UK; and I don't have any deaths around 1914 - but I haven't done a lot of research on them - so could look into this too.  You given me more to think about - thank you!

I'm also wondering if perhaps Amy had used an Alias too.
Bryant (Bristol, Glos)
Searle (Kent/Surrey)
Keyworth (Yorkshire)
Biggs (Harrow Weald)
Langston (Harrow Weald)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 27 February 23 11:01 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again everyone.  I have found the following on Ancestry and would be keen to know your thoughts on these as I can't read/understand very well.

…Seaport and date of landing: New York, November 12, 1908, on board Oceanic

I cannot find any Egerton’s on board the ship, but perhaps I missed his name?  :-\

Also, Edwin/Arthur/Bradley is not in the 1909 nor 1910 Boston Directory.