Author Topic: Hamilton / St Paul, Ontario records  (Read 701 times)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Hamilton / St Paul, Ontario records
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 25 February 23 00:21 GMT (UK) »
Are there any online records I could search for St Paul and/or Hamilton, Ontario.  I'm interested in death records and census records?

I think possibly that Amy was living in Toronto:

1935 Electoral District of St. Paul’s, City of Toronto - Voters List
  Miss Amy Bryant, Spinster

1945 Electoral District of St. Paul’s, City of Toronto - Voters List
  Amy Bryant, Housekeeper

1949 “St. Paul”, Ontario - Voters List
  Miss Amy Bryant, Nurse

I believe the 1949 address is also for Toronto.

Miss Bryant had the same address (which I won’t post for privacy reasons) but if it’s the same person, by 1949 she had moved a short distance away.

Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 25 February 23 01:00 GMT (UK) »
Searching a few Toronto City Directories, she was listed in the book in
1932 (Admiral Road)
but not in 1925, 1930

Skipping to 1931, there was an Amy listed, tel opr, Scarborough Road (which is a fairly good distance away from Admiral Road).

Toronto Directories
https://www.torontopubliclibrary.ca/history-genealogy/lh-digital-city-directories.jsp

Added: I looked for other Bryants with the Admiral address in a couple of the directories, but did not see anyone so perhaps she was not a young person living with her parents. (Which could make her your Amy.)
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 25 February 23 02:26 GMT (UK) »

She must be connected to this thread in the Common Room

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=870555.msg7417048

Sandra

Looking at the other post, Amy was part of the Girls Friendly Society.   Here is a note from the Toronto Star from 1931.   Amy is singing at a wedding of another girl from the Friendly Society.

Offline dbree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 25 February 23 02:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

The last Canadian census is 1921. Death records are privacy protected after 1948.

The last sighting that I see of Amy in Toronto is 1956 in the directories.  She doesn't appear in Toronto Burials
http://www.finditatmpg.com/default.aspx

I was just typing 'if RK is around she may pick up an obit for Amy after 1956'. You must have
heard me typing this RK. ;D

DB

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 25 February 23 02:29 GMT (UK) »
In 1938, there is a note in the Toronto Star mentioning the Girls Friendly Society annual bazaar.   Amy Bryant was one of the people in charge of the tea room. 

RK

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 25 February 23 02:32 GMT (UK) »
Yes- I guess I heard your little fingers :) :)

Still not seeing an obituary for her....   it helps to know to look after 1956.   Thanks

RK

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 25 February 23 09:21 GMT (UK) »
Interesting article Amy singing at the wedding - good find RK.  Wonder if she stayed as a friend to that couple ?
No luck on the passenger lists - found a Miss Amy Bryant returning Montreal to the Liverpool 26 July 1914 - on the Laurentic - shop assistant aged 23 years.  (birth would be 2 years out ?)

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline alison300

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 25 February 23 16:48 GMT (UK) »
Thank you everyone for taking the time to help.  There is so much i'm still trying to take it all in.
Thanks for the info re the annual bazaar.  So you think the Amy in the Canadian records died after 1956?  You say death records are closed - is the only way of finding out more finding an obituary?

Amy Frances Bryant was born on 30 Dec 1889 in Bristol, Gloucestershire, England.  She was born illegitimately, her mother being Mary Elizabeth Bryant.  She was brought up by her grandparents (George & Mary Eliz. Bryant). 

Amy had an affair with a married man and had 2 children (1907 and 1908).  She gave the children up to the Bristol Workhouse .  The married man left his wife and emigrated to the USA - I have had contact with one of his grandsons and he and Amy did not emigrate, or stay, together.

I believe Amy left England around 1911.  I don't have an occupation for her though because she was too young on the 1901 census to have one; and there is no occupation given in the Workhouse records.

Thank you all so much.
Wright (West Ham, Stratford, Cripplegate)
Widenstrom (Chicago and Minnesota)
Swain (Cripplegate, St Lukes)
Wolfe (St Giles in the Fields)
Willis (Gt. Leighs; Brentford)
Bryant (Bristol, Glos)
Searle (Kent/Surrey)
Keyworth (Yorkshire)
Biggs (Harrow Weald)
Collins (Harrow Weald and Wiltshire)
Langston (Harrow Weald)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 25 February 23 17:07 GMT (UK) »

Annie would have been the same age as Amy born 1890.

FIND A GRAVE

Annie Kitchen (1890 - 1975) and John Cox (1876 - 1965)

Bowmanville Cemetery Bowmanville, Durham Regional Municipality, Ontario.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/149458734/annie-cox

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada