Author Topic: Photo found in an old wallet. Around Myra 1885?  (Read 1402 times)

Offline John-76

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Photo found in an old wallet. Around Myra 1885?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 26 February 23 16:47 GMT (UK) »
Agreed! If the poster likes it then it’s settled! I’m just a crotchety old guy who likes to complain!  ???
Blake, Willis, Parker and Whittington

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 26 February 23 16:56 GMT (UK) »
All the photographs are really lovely ,a beautiful child and the original poster now has two versions .
Something I could not do myself so much respect to those who can.
Thanks for sharing.
Viktoria.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 26 February 23 17:28 GMT (UK) »
Agreed! If the poster likes it then it’s settled! I’m just a crotchety old guy who likes to complain!  ???

No John..I think your words were accurate and truthful.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline loord74

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 26 February 23 17:33 GMT (UK) »
Well, directing criticism also to the owner of the image because he expressed admiration goes against logic, I personally do not want to discuss much about this subject. The goal of restoring images is to reach a picture as if it (was taken yesterday), and I think that is the (golden goal), and for this reason Adobe Photoshop and others are keen on Developing its software and techniques in removing blemishes and frills, increasing image sharpness and accuracy, and correcting shadows and colors. Without exaggeration, I learn something new every day by following lessons here and there. Using Adobe, you can sharpen the edges to the maximum degree possible, and then smooth these edges using other tools. Why we are Against development and raising efficiency..Personally, I do not hesitate to inquire how anything was done because every day we learn something new.I used topaz gigapixel just to increase photo size without loosing quality, Use the smudge tool on 2 separate layers - 1 set to Darken and 1 set to Lighten, Fix the details like blotchy faces, reflections, missing chunks and blurred details using Frequency Separation, I will attach AI enhanced photo to compare with previous restoration .

Offline loord74

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 26 February 23 17:36 GMT (UK) »
here is AI enhancement just to compare with my previous restoration

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 26 February 23 17:52 GMT (UK) »
Surely there's no one goal of restoration ... different people want different things.

Personally I adore the original, age degredation and all; and I really like the first restored image.

As for the AI one, though ... I grew up in a black-and-white era and am comfortable with monochrome photography, whether sepia or greyscale or whatever. Then we started getting colour (but boy was it expensive ... although after a bit it became more expensive to have black and white processed due to economies of scale). So I am entirely comfortable with both colour and monochrome. But what I cannot ever get my head around is black-and-white-with-bits-of-colour. To me, it just doesn't compute.

But it works for some people ... and if that's what you like and want, then your goal in restoration may be to produce just that.

She was an incredibly charming looking girl, whichever way you prefer to view her.
All identified names up to and including my great x5 grandparents: Abbot Andrews Baker Blenc(h)ow Brothers Burrows Chambers Clifton Cornwell Escott Fisher Foster Frost Giddins Groom Hardwick Harris Hart Hayho(e) Herman Holcomb(e) Holmes Hurley King-Spooner Martindale Mason Mitchell Murphy Neves Oakey Packman Palmer Peabody Pearce Pettit(t) Piper Pottenger Pound Purkis Rackliff(e) Richardson Scotford Sherman Sinden Snear Southam Spooner Stephenson Varing Weatherley Webb Whitney Wiles Wright

Offline Uhnnohn

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 26 February 23 19:47 GMT (UK) »
A smudge here and there
Still looks old, but a bit better

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 26 February 23 19:54 GMT (UK) »
Oh, I do like that one  :)

It's of it's age.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Ranolki

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 26 February 23 21:15 GMT (UK) »
I have started cleaning this one with a more natural and authentic approach suited to the Edwardian era, but as you prefer the plastic, "Taken Yesterday" look, I won't spend any more time on it  ::)
Carol

I'm sorry to have started all this!  I DO love the original restoration.  In fact I appreciate the work involved with every one of them.  I would love to see the more natural idea you mention though, if you would please finish it?  It's likely to be used in a book so an authentic "true to the original" style may be appropriate too. Thank you.

So that I can be slightly more confident that this IS Myra, would it be reasonable to assume this could have been from as early as the mid 1880s from the clothing?  Or more likely to be Edwardian?  I have a photo of a great grandmother as a child (around 1890) and this seems quite similar.