Author Topic: Mary Ellen Lewis b April1842 in Guilsfield area.  (Read 1579 times)

Offline DCB

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Ellen Lewis b April1842 in Guilsfield area.
« Reply #54 on: Friday 03 March 23 12:55 GMT (UK) »
I was puzzled as to why the children of Richard and Mary in 1860-70, were not with them in 1850, but children of the same names and ages were with James and Mary.

It may mean nothing, but I looked at the possible history of Richard Lewis, son of Richard Lewis, a farmer, who married Mary Ann Hotchkiss on 3rd December 1838 in Shrewsbury.

In 1841, he was an Innkeeper in Condover, Shropshire, about 25 miles from where James Lewis was an Publican/Innkeeper.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MQRK-5Q2

The census indicates that he wasn't born in Shropshire, and there is a match for a baptism in Llansanfraid-ym-Mechain on 5th March 1807, son of Richard, a farmer, and Eleanor. The abode of Mary Dickin's father was Llansanfraid/Llansaintffraid on his burial record.

Following Richard's baptism, a number of other baptism for children of Richard, a farmer, and Eleanor, were in Broniarth.

A James Lewis was a witness to the marriage of Richard's brother, David, in 1833. The signature isn't very different from the one on his marriage, considering that it was nine years later and restricted in height by the one above.

Pure speculation, but where all of them James and Mary's children? Perhaps Richard and James were related, or acquainted, and the children were in the care of Richard and Mary. It often happened when one or both parents died.

There are some trees which have Richard and Eleanor marrying in Llansanfraid-ym-Mechain in 1805. They don't have Richard in 1807, possibly because he wasn't born in Broniarth. Also a lot with Mary Ann Hotchkiss, but not her marriage to Richard.

David

Offline amberly

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Friday 03 March 23 13:50 GMT (UK) »
DCB fascinating info & what a lot of work you've done to find all that.  Thanks.  I shall pursue it all eventually, but we've had a death in the family this week & life is busier than usual, but I'll get back to this before long.
Thanks again.   Amberly.
Roberts,Guilsfield area, Mont.    Beattie, Welshpool, Mont         Newill, Welshpool & Shrops.      Gwyther, London.                    Cureton, Shrops & London.       Whitfield, Shrops.                        Dickin, Shrops & Mont.               Barker, London.

Offline amberly

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Sunday 05 March 23 16:33 GMT (UK) »
Reply to MABEL BAGSHAWE on page 3.
I've been trying to sort out your info for at least a week now & I keep getting interrupted however today seems to be a free day, I'm pleased to say, & I've sorted the following out.
There are a lot of W's in this family, Willets, Whitney's & Wilkes but I think I've got it straight now.  I didn't know that Lamaire [Lamira] was Mary Ellen's step daughter for a start, I only knew of Mary E 1860/1954 & she married Adelbert [Edelbert] B Whitney.  On their marriage cert I found the witnesses were Eugene & Samira [Lamira] Wilks 1855/1931 & then found that her parents were Martin [Morton] Willets & Martha C Jackson who was Morton's 1st wife & she died in 1863 & he remarried to Mary Ellen in 1864.
The spelling of names was pretty bad but often of course the person couldn't read & write so it was left to the scribe to write it as he heard it!!
So thanks very much for that info it enabled me to sort quite a bit out.

Amberly.
Roberts,Guilsfield area, Mont.    Beattie, Welshpool, Mont         Newill, Welshpool & Shrops.      Gwyther, London.                    Cureton, Shrops & London.       Whitfield, Shrops.                        Dickin, Shrops & Mont.               Barker, London.

Offline amberly

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Thursday 23 March 23 13:49 GMT (UK) »
For DCB.   I'm still searching off & on with your ideas & have found 10 children for Richard & Elinor [Eleanor[ of Broniarth, Guilsfield but NO James, on FindMyPast.  I do agree that the signatures of James that you sent are pretty identical & probably are from the same person.   However when I go back to Family Search the 1860 census with Richard & family has his wife as Marian & in fact his wife's name was Mary Ann so I don't feel that it's our Mary that's living with him.   When I look at the names on FindMyPast in the Guilsfield area there are so many names the same so this Richard could easily have used the same names as James & Mary.   I haven't given up but it's so time consuming that I never seem to have long enough to get it finished, so it's onwards & upwards!
I must say I haven't found deaths for James or Mary or any other census for them, nor anything for Sarah & Charles either, but as I said I haven't given up yet.   Watch this space as I'll tell you in due course what else I come up with.
Thanks for all your suggestions,   Amberly.

Offline DCB

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Thursday 23 March 23 14:00 GMT (UK) »
Just a small point on Mary Ann, I have relatives of that name who were sometimes written as Marian. I think it is the way that the enumerator or clerk interprets the spoken word.

David

Offline amberly

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Thursday 23 March 23 14:14 GMT (UK) »
Yes I agree with you but James wife was just Mary [Dickin] & Richard's was Mary Ann [Hotchkiss] so the scribe could've/should've only heard Mary for James wife & possibly Mary Ann so Marian for Richard's.

I'm just revisiting a note from Sandra re the death of Richard & Mary & about to work on that so watch this space I'm forever optimistic it'll all get sorted.

Thanks again, Amberly