Author Topic: Mary Ellen Lewis b April1842 in Guilsfield area.  (Read 1584 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Ellen Lewis b April1842 in Guilsfield area.
« Reply #36 on: Sunday 26 February 23 13:50 GMT (UK) »
Amberly ~

You asked about  my Curetons  - they were living in Grinshill and then Wem in  the late 16th and early 17th centuries. I'm descended from one of the daughters who married a Sand(i)land and moved to Montgomeryshire/Denbighshire/Shopshire borders.  one of the Sandiland daughters married a Jones!!

I recall that some of the family moved to US as early settlers. I must get my book out.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline amberly

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Sunday 26 February 23 15:08 GMT (UK) »
To GADGET & DCB all you've said re the family is correct.  On one of my trips home, I live in Canada now, I went to Worthen Hall, & to Guilsfield cemetery & took photos of the graves & to Trawscoed House & St Chad's in Shrewsbury & stayed in Elmsmere where brother Edward had had a grocer's shop after he went bankrupt in London & died there.

Here is the Dickin & Cureton info:
Wm Dickin b Worthen 1744 m 1. Mary Beddows 1748 b Westbury, Shrops d 1773.   He m again in 1775 in Worthen to Mary Furmstone 1748/1819.
They had John Dickin 1776/1855 m 1814 at St Chad's Shrewsbury Mary Ann Cureton 1785/1847.  This is where the Edwards come into it, Mary Ann's father was Edward Cureton 1756/1796 m Henrietta Bill 1760/1818 in London & they had a son Edward 1789/1849 unmarried.   I mentioned these 2 Edwards in my original email because I saw that Mary Ellen Lewis had named her last son Edward Cureton Willitts & this jumped out at me.  In 1816 John Dickin lived at Worthen Hall & by 1841 was living at Trawscoed House in Guilsfield.
Mary Dickin 1816/1872 who m James Lewis had a brother Charles Robert 1823/1846, a sister Sarah Maria 1825/1886 who m into the maternal side of my Roberts family in Guilsfield & then a stillborn in 1827. Once I found Edward Cureton Willitts on a tree from the US I contacted the owner who said her father was born a year before Mary Ellen died but was too young to remember her & they had nothing to go on other than what US censuses told them.   So it's definite that it was Mary Dickin who m James Lewis, NOT Mary Chester.

DCB I've learned a lot of history through following the Cureton's in the Indian Army, fascinating stuff.  The General Chas Rbt Cureton who died in Ramnagar, his wife was given a grace & favour apartment in Hampton Court when he died.
AFN, will do more as the day goes by. 
Thank you all again, Amberly
Roberts,Guilsfield area, Mont.    Beattie, Welshpool, Mont         Newill, Welshpool & Shrops.      Gwyther, London.                    Cureton, Shrops & London.       Whitfield, Shrops.                        Dickin, Shrops & Mont.               Barker, London.

Offline amberly

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 26 February 23 22:08 GMT (UK) »
SANDRA have now had time to look at the passenger lists you sent & I'm pretty sure it's them with father James going ahead of the family.    Well done for finding them, it sure was a search!
Now they arrived in NY but where did they go after that I wonder & where do I start looking??  Mary Ellen didn't marry Morton H Willets until 1864 in Knox, Ohio. She had 20 years to live somewhere & I'm not really au fait with the US censuses so don't know where to start.  Any ideas anyone please??
Thanks, Sandra for your efforts.
Amberly
Roberts,Guilsfield area, Mont.    Beattie, Welshpool, Mont         Newill, Welshpool & Shrops.      Gwyther, London.                    Cureton, Shrops & London.       Whitfield, Shrops.                        Dickin, Shrops & Mont.               Barker, London.

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Monday 27 February 23 02:30 GMT (UK) »
You can search the census records on FamilySearch.

There is this one from 1850, I wonder if the places of birth are the wrong way around for Charles and Mary because the children have not been written down in order of age.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MF8N-Q6M

Debra  :)

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Monday 27 February 23 03:16 GMT (UK) »
It certainly is difficult with such common names! I did see this 1880 census which I wondered about in Summit, Ohio. Couldn't find a marriage for Robert McGINN and Sarah LEWIS though, or a birth or further records for young Sarah LEWIS to either rule it in or out.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:33SQ-GYBH-9MRZ?i=12&cc=1417683

Robert McGINN   50  Ireland
Sarah                     40  Wales
Mary A LEWIS       72  Wales (mother-in-law, wid)
Sarah                        8  Ohio  (niece)
Frederick JONES      40  Wales (boarder)

Offline DCB

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Monday 27 February 23 14:15 GMT (UK) »
May just be a coincidence, but there is a census record for 1850 in Michigan which has the right names, together some right ages and birth places.

Mary, wife of James, has an age transcribed as 83, but the 8 is smudged and is actually 33.
Children, Mary and Sarah are the right age with different birth places, plus a son, Charles.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MF8N-Q69

in 1860, Mary has a different husband, Richard Lewis, with children, Mary and Charles, but no Sarah.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MW67-VHP

In 1870, Sarah and Charles are at home, but no Mary.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MHHY-8MY

David

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Monday 27 February 23 14:26 GMT (UK) »
That looks an interesting find, David. Have  you found any birth info for Charles?

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline DCB

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Monday 27 February 23 14:52 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately, I can't find a birth, but there is a possible match in 1900
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MSMG-ZZX

David

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Monday 27 February 23 15:18 GMT (UK) »
Places of birth for self/father/mother for both of them match. The FS images are not easy to read on a very small laptop. I'll need to look at them  on my pay sites!

I'm busy today so can't do much looking.