Author Topic: London Trade Directory lookup request  (Read 423 times)

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
London Trade Directory lookup request
« on: Saturday 25 February 23 08:16 GMT (UK) »
Could anyone with access to some London Trade Directories of the 1820s and 1830s have a look for Richard HORTON (or possibly MORTON), tailor of 13 Long Acre ... and see if we can identify the year when he moved from there to 15 New Bond Street?

Many thanks for any assistance with this.
All identified names up to and including my great x5 grandparents: Abbot Andrews Baker Blenc(h)ow Brothers Burrows Chambers Clifton Cornwell Escott Fisher Foster Frost Giddins Groom Hardwick Harris Hart Hayho(e) Herman Holcomb(e) Holmes Hurley King-Spooner Martindale Mason Mitchell Murphy Neves Oakey Packman Palmer Peabody Pearce Pettit(t) Piper Pottenger Pound Purkis Rackliff(e) Richardson Scotford Sherman Sinden Snear Southam Spooner Stephenson Varing Weatherley Webb Whitney Wiles Wright

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: London Trade Directory lookup request
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 25 February 23 08:19 GMT (UK) »
Try this site for historical directories - free to use.

https://specialcollections.le.ac.uk/digital/collection/p16445coll4
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 25 February 23 08:36 GMT (UK) »
Ooooohhhh ... thank you BumbleB. I didn't know about that one.
All identified names up to and including my great x5 grandparents: Abbot Andrews Baker Blenc(h)ow Brothers Burrows Chambers Clifton Cornwell Escott Fisher Foster Frost Giddins Groom Hardwick Harris Hart Hayho(e) Herman Holcomb(e) Holmes Hurley King-Spooner Martindale Mason Mitchell Murphy Neves Oakey Packman Palmer Peabody Pearce Pettit(t) Piper Pottenger Pound Purkis Rackliff(e) Richardson Scotford Sherman Sinden Snear Southam Spooner Stephenson Varing Weatherley Webb Whitney Wiles Wright

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 25 February 23 08:39 GMT (UK) »
Hope it helps - I've always found it to be very interesting!
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 25 February 23 11:18 GMT (UK) »
I think this is most likely Richard Staton.

I couldn't find a reference to a London tailor named Richard Horton or Morton in that era so I searched your previous posts to find out who it is that you are actually looking for.

The workhouse records that you posted in your other thread mention that he was made bankrupt so there is another clue that directed me to The Gazette where I found references to a tailor named Richard Staton or Station with several former addresses including 13 Long Acre.

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 25 February 23 11:23 GMT (UK) »
Oooohhhh ... thank you Shaun.

That would explain why I found no evidence of the bankruptcy when I went looking ... do you have the date of the bankruptcy there? (If not, don't worry ... I can look it up for myself easily enough now I have the correct name.)

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 25 February 23 11:27 GMT (UK) »
The former addresses will be really helpful, too, in helping me to construe a couple of the words I couldn't quite make out in the Workhous examination, too ... they were connected with his addresses! It'll be good to see them in  print.

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 25 February 23 11:33 GMT (UK) »
Here is Richard Staton in Long Acre in 1824 Land Tax records:
https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/collections/2170/images/31364_612057_0904-00017

He was first made bankrupt in 1831 but the 13 Long Acre mention I found was from 1857. 

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 25 February 23 11:36 GMT (UK) »