Author Topic: London Trade Directory lookup request  (Read 424 times)

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: London Trade Directory lookup request
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 25 February 23 11:38 GMT (UK) »
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 25 February 23 11:51 GMT (UK) »
Magnificent stuff, Shaun!
All identified names up to and including my great x5 grandparents: Abbot Andrews Baker Blenc(h)ow Brothers Burrows Chambers Clifton Cornwell Escott Fisher Foster Frost Giddins Groom Hardwick Harris Hart Hayho(e) Herman Holcomb(e) Holmes Hurley King-Spooner Martindale Mason Mitchell Murphy Neves Oakey Packman Palmer Peabody Pearce Pettit(t) Piper Pottenger Pound Purkis Rackliff(e) Richardson Scotford Sherman Sinden Snear Southam Spooner Stephenson Varing Weatherley Webb Whitney Wiles Wright

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 25 February 23 11:58 GMT (UK) »

He was first made bankrupt in 1831 but the 13 Long Acre mention I found was from 1857.

I think  it's the 1831 bankruptcy I need.

Edgar Spooner was born in about 1813, and according to the Workhouse examination:

* apprenticed age 14 (circa 1827)
* resided with his master at 13 Long Acre for more than 2 years (until circa 1829)
* removed with him to 15 New Bond Street and resided there with him for 12 months (until circa 1830)
* removed again to [blank space in the manuscript] and was there a few weeks

The bankruptcy follows this. So 1831 looks like the right one ... and the 1857 bankruptcy addresses reach back to before the prior bankruptcy.

Great detective work!
All identified names up to and including my great x5 grandparents: Abbot Andrews Baker Blenc(h)ow Brothers Burrows Chambers Clifton Cornwell Escott Fisher Foster Frost Giddins Groom Hardwick Harris Hart Hayho(e) Herman Holcomb(e) Holmes Hurley King-Spooner Martindale Mason Mitchell Murphy Neves Oakey Packman Palmer Peabody Pearce Pettit(t) Piper Pottenger Pound Purkis Rackliff(e) Richardson Scotford Sherman Sinden Snear Southam Spooner Stephenson Varing Weatherley Webb Whitney Wiles Wright

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 25 February 23 16:28 GMT (UK) »
Richard Staton land tax record in Bond Street in 1830:

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/discoveryui-content/view/14608397:2170

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 25 February 23 16:59 GMT (UK) »
That's the address we have from the workhouse examination ... so this is our man alright.

Oddly, I've got a London Gazette notice relating to matters in his bankruptcy after the order had been made (1 September 6 September 1831 Issue 18845 page 1828) but none of the normal ones relating to the bankruptcy hearing itself and the making of the Order.

However, this is the earliest bankruptcy order I have yet dealt with, and it is in Chancery rather than the Court for the Relief of Insolvent Debtors; so presumably the procedure and the advertisement requirements under the Act of 6 Geo IV were different ...

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 25 February 23 17:15 GMT (UK) »
Still at 13 Long Acre in 1829 per this baptism record:

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/collections/61866/images/61865_314054001181_18131-00474

I can't view the image because I don't have Ancestry; but is that Drusilla Staton, daughter of Richard and Drusilla, baptised at St Martin-in-the-Fields on 16 January 1829?

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 25 February 23 17:21 GMT (UK) »
yes

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 25 February 23 17:59 GMT (UK) »
Brilliant! Thank you.

It's amazing how much useful evidence you can milk out of the bare bones of the parish registers combned with trade directories and the dusty old London Gazette if you mix your metaphors hard enough, isn't it?

I doubt I'm going to find anything on the first 14 years of Edgar's life until his father paid Richard Staton the £20 premium for his apprenticeship and he went to start his apprenticeship; not yet for the 9 years hetween his leaving Richard Staton in July 1831 on account of the latter's bankruptcy and his marrying Jannot Saunders in July 1840.

But for the rest of Edgar's life - once seeminly totally enigmatic - we've now been able to add a LOT of colour. No mere black-and-white portrait for THIS ancestor ...