Author Topic: Alexander Nicolson, Seaman  (Read 360 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Alexander Nicolson, Seaman
« on: Saturday 25 February 23 12:36 GMT (UK) »
Interested in Alexander Nicolson, born 1825 in Leven, married in 1847, youngest child born 15 May 1853, wife is a widow in 1861 census, and gravestone says 'buried at sea'. His widow had an illegitimate child, born 20 June 1856, so I am assuming that Alexander died between summer 1852 and say 1854. There's no death in the indexes at Scotland's People.

I have looked at online newspapers but found no reference to an Alexander Nicolson being lost at sea between these dates.

There's a listing of Alexander Nicolson, Leven, in the British Merchant Seamen 1845-1857, ticket no 36238, National Archives reference BT114/15.

My questions are, does this reference point to another document which contains more information about Alexander Nicolson, and if so how do I find out what it says without having to go to Kew?

(I have lots of information about his family members, including all relevant birth/baptisms, marriage, death/burials/gravestone and census, so there's no need to look those up for me, thank you.)

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Nicolson, Seaman
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 February 23 11:39 GMT (UK) »
Once you have the persons "Ticket Number" that cross references to records on voyages made.

I note an Ancestry in Crew Lists/ Masters & Mates two records for an Alexander Nicholson - Fife

Sadly my membership ended in December so I am unable to see the rest of the record.

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 26 February 23 11:45 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, ColC. I'll note that.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Online rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 26 February 23 13:38 GMT (UK) »
The 2 records on Ancestry has his date of birth as 21 November 1826 St Clairtown Fife if this is the same person ?

Rosie

Online HMac

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.sscityofcairo.co.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 26 February 23 14:40 GMT (UK) »

There's a listing of Alexander Nicolson, Leven, in the British Merchant Seamen 1845-1857, ticket no 36238, National Archives reference BT114/15.

My questions are, does this reference point to another document which contains more information about Alexander Nicolson, and if so how do I find out what it says without having to go to Kew?

BT 114 is the Alphabetical Index to Registers of Seamen's Tickets.
BT 113 is the numerical Register of Seamen's Tickets.

In 1844 new regulations were introduced in order to establish a Register Ticket system; each British seaman leaving the UK had to have a Register Ticket.

So by searching BT 114 you have found his Seaman's Ticket so you should now search BT 113 for the actual ticket. I can't find that name in BT 113 on FindMyPast - I believe records are far from complete. I do not know if you can search by ticket number.

Regards
Hugh
Merchant Navy Research
ss CITY OF CAIRO

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 01 March 23 20:51 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, Hugh. That's what I need to know.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 01 March 23 20:57 GMT (UK) »
The 2 records on Ancestry has his date of birth as 21 November 1826 St Clairtown Fife if this is the same person ?
Very unlikely.

St Clairtown/Sinclairtown is in the parish of Dysart, not the parish of Scoonie, and I have the birth date of 'my' one from his baptism record and the family bible, both of which agree (mirabile dictu) that he was born on 7 September 1825.

There is a birth of an Alexander Nicolson, parents Alexander N and Janet Dawson, on 7 November 1826.

Thank you for saving me the trouble of looking up the wrong man on Ancestry! :)