Author Topic: Dundas - Brechin / Careston area  (Read 305 times)

Offline ED2005

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Dundas - Brechin / Careston area
« on: Saturday 25 February 23 16:18 GMT (UK) »
I'm struggling to break my Dundas brick wall. I have a Jane Dundas born c1780 in Brechin (I believe) and married to a David Buchan, a carpenter. She died at Whiteside of Careston in 1859. Her parents were John Dundas (born c1755?) and Ann Nicoll. I can't find any births or marriages that might match the parents. If anyone has a book of the MI's at Careston churchyard, could you have a look and see if there are any Dundas or Buchan entries for me? Thank you.
Edwards, Grieve, Talbert in Angus and Kincardineshire; Allan, Dundas, Hacket, Milne, Reid in Aberdeen and Orkney; Brock in Thurso and Aberdeen; Rennie in Aberdeenshire to name but a few...

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Dundas - Brechin / Careston area
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 25 February 23 16:45 GMT (UK) »
Checked the book of pre-1855 MIs for Careston.

No mentions of Dundas.

David Buchan for 45y tent Whiteside here d 14.2.1890 77, w Isabella Peter 18.3.1870 60, s John 27.3.1882 21, da Mary 20.9.1854 7.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline ED2005

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 25 February 23 16:47 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for that. Something to go on perhaps  :)
Edwards, Grieve, Talbert in Angus and Kincardineshire; Allan, Dundas, Hacket, Milne, Reid in Aberdeen and Orkney; Brock in Thurso and Aberdeen; Rennie in Aberdeenshire to name but a few...

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 25 February 23 17:10 GMT (UK) »
Maybe. The deaths index shows that David Buchan, aged 76, mother's maiden surname Dundas, died in Brechin in 1890.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline ED2005

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 25 February 23 17:15 GMT (UK) »
Yes…, I think that’s correct. I have him on my Ancestry tree. Born 1813 in Menmuir, d 14 Feb 1890. Thank you.  :)

Offline David Nicoll

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 05 August 23 12:52 BST (UK) »
Hi, you may be through your brick wall by now as this is quite an old post. I was intrigued as you had a Nicol and Careston is a family area. It looks like there may have been a name change, and was the death certificate correct?

David Buchan and Jean Dildarg / Dundass seem to be having children in Careston in the 1810 to 1820 period. He recorded as Wright in Craig, so it looks like the same family.
David Buchan, Wright in Kirkton is having children in Menmuir, including Alexander, so that looks right as well.

Next -

Jean Dildarg to William Dildarg and Ann Nicol in Brechin, 20/10/1781

I note also that there are other people who have noted the Dundas / Dildarg name change at about the same time, also Dargie.

I hope this helps
Nicoll, Small - Scotland Dennis - Lincolnshire, Baldwin - Notts. Gordon, Fletcher Deeside

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 05 August 23 13:36 BST (UK) »
Black says of Dildarg:

DILDARG. Of local origin from old lands
of that name in Angus. Andrew Dildarg is
recorded in Balzordie in 1658 (Brechin), and
John Dildarg was schoolmaster of Fern in
Angus in 1778 (Jervise, Land of Lindsays,
p. 428).

Offline ED2005

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 05 August 23 13:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Folks, Thanks for taking the time to post these! Im certainly not past my brick wall and this is an interesting development! I’ll have to go back and remind myself who is who… but a great help hopefully. Thank you again!

Offline David Nicoll

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 05 August 23 13:55 BST (UK) »
Hi, glad to hopefully be of help, I meant to say if you are not already, use Scotlands People to look at the original records. There are often, snippets of extra information that do not get transcribed, or there are transcription errors, I have found some strange ones!
Also be flexible with Certificates, my great grandfather got his grandmothers maiden name wrong, made up for it by using it as a family middle name!
Nicoll, Small - Scotland Dennis - Lincolnshire, Baldwin - Notts. Gordon, Fletcher Deeside