Author Topic: Richard Foot of Wimborne Minster, Dorset  (Read 426 times)

Offline TheOnlyRogueAngel

• RootsChat Member
  • Bringing order to utter chaos.
    • View Profile
Richard Foot of Wimborne Minster, Dorset
« on: Sunday 26 February 23 12:50 GMT (UK) »
Here we go again...

Richard Foot b.1843 Wimborne Minster, Dorset, d.1929 Dorset, married Louisa Shave on 3 September 1870 at Wimborne Minster. Louisa was born 1840 in Ringwood, Hampshire.
She already had a daughter Kate, and before the couple married, another child Morgan James Foot was born in 1867. Although there are census records for Morgan, there is no birth registration and no baptism. I checked the BMD Index... nothing. No Morgan Foot, no Morgan Shave, no James M. Shave either (?). 

By the 1881 census Richard appears to be married to a Mary b.1843 Ringwood, Hampshire. I cannot find a marriage record for this marriage anywhere. The 1881 census also shows children Kate Shave, 18. Edith Foot, 10 (mother Louisa), (Henry) Walter Foot, 8 (mother Mary), and Ernest Arthur Foot, 6 (mother Louisa)...

This is all very confusing, as seems to be the case with this line of the family, and I'm hoping someone can help me unravel this mess..
Cawlbeck, Colbeck, Colbrook, Colebeck, Colebrook, Colebrooke, Coulbeck, Cowlbeck [UK, USA, NZ, Australia, Canada] Hamer [South Yorkshire, UK], Lucas [Cardiff & Gloucestershire, UK] Pennell [UK], Speed [UK], Udall, Udell [UK & USA], Webb [Staffordshire, Dorset, UK], Foot, Foote [Dorset, UK].

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Foot of Wimborne Minster, Dorset
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 February 23 13:03 GMT (UK) »
Some Anc trees have Louisa Shave listed as Louisa Mary Shave so could she have been using her middle name in 1881??

Kay

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 26 February 23 13:18 GMT (UK) »
@Kay99 - Thank you... it would appear that it is and she did... who knew.?  ::)

I really dislike finding out about middle names as a bolt out of the blue..  :( and of course that explains Walter having a different mother's name than all his siblings..

Thank you.
Cawlbeck, Colbeck, Colbrook, Colebeck, Colebrook, Colebrooke, Coulbeck, Cowlbeck [UK, USA, NZ, Australia, Canada] Hamer [South Yorkshire, UK], Lucas [Cardiff & Gloucestershire, UK] Pennell [UK], Speed [UK], Udall, Udell [UK & USA], Webb [Staffordshire, Dorset, UK], Foot, Foote [Dorset, UK].

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 26 February 23 13:28 GMT (UK) »
Just looked at Louisa's birth, bapt, marriage and death but I can't see a middle name. Maybe Maey was  just a pet name?? 

Kay

Online emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 26 February 23 13:35 GMT (UK) »
Walter was Louisa's son.

Henry Walter Foot Mar 1873 Wimborne 5a 290 mmn Shave.
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 26 February 23 13:53 GMT (UK) »
@Kay99 - I checked out the Ancestry trees, as I too haven't found 'Mary' as a middle name for Louisa on any of the official records either, but a few of the trees do have Mary as her middle name, and with her death record being in 1915, I had to accept that it was so, and she'd just changed to using her middle name from 1881 on..

I'm going to start being very wary of middle names henceforth.. :)

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 26 February 23 13:54 GMT (UK) »
@emeltom - That's great, thank you. The baptismal record just said 'Mary'.. so good to have the maiden name.  You wouldn't happen to be able to find Morgan James Foot would you.?

Online emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 26 February 23 15:14 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately no, but I have definitely looked!
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 26 February 23 16:06 GMT (UK) »
@emeltom - Thank you for looking.. he's an elusive one.. I'm thinking he was actually a Shave, rather than a Foot, but I still can't find him.