Author Topic: What was the address of the London Lying-In Hospital? COMPLETED  (Read 346 times)

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
What was the address of the London Lying-In Hospital? COMPLETED
« on: Sunday 26 February 23 13:05 GMT (UK) »
In the 1820s the London Lying-In Hospital moved to a new site to the east of York Road, Lambeth ... but what was its official address?

Was it, by any chance, 1 East Place? I have this address as the place of birth on a birth certificate. It is not the address given by the father when registering the birth and I can find no other connection with this address, so ithis caused me to wonder ...
All identified names up to and including my great x5 grandparents: Abbot Andrews Baker Blenc(h)ow Brothers Burrows Chambers Clifton Cornwell Escott Fisher Foster Frost Giddins Groom Hardwick Harris Hart Hayho(e) Herman Holcomb(e) Holmes Hurley King-Spooner Martindale Mason Mitchell Murphy Neves Oakey Packman Palmer Peabody Pearce Pettit(t) Piper Pottenger Pound Purkis Rackliff(e) Richardson Scotford Sherman Sinden Snear Southam Spooner Stephenson Varing Weatherley Webb Whitney Wiles Wright

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: What was the address of the London Lying-In Hospital?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 February 23 14:11 GMT (UK) »
What date was the birth certificate?  I presume you have checked the address on census returns
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 26 February 23 15:58 GMT (UK) »
Birth certificate is 1857.
All identified names up to and including my great x5 grandparents: Abbot Andrews Baker Blenc(h)ow Brothers Burrows Chambers Clifton Cornwell Escott Fisher Foster Frost Giddins Groom Hardwick Harris Hart Hayho(e) Herman Holcomb(e) Holmes Hurley King-Spooner Martindale Mason Mitchell Murphy Neves Oakey Packman Palmer Peabody Pearce Pettit(t) Piper Pottenger Pound Purkis Rackliff(e) Richardson Scotford Sherman Sinden Snear Southam Spooner Stephenson Varing Weatherley Webb Whitney Wiles Wright

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 26 February 23 17:11 GMT (UK) »
1 East Place, Lambeth if that is where you are after was a house in 1861

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 26 February 23 17:14 GMT (UK) »
According to another thread, the birth in question was registered in Clerkenwell.
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=870414.msg7417655#msg7417655

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 26 February 23 17:16 GMT (UK) »
According to another thread, the birth in question was registered in Clerkenwell.
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=870414.msg7417655#msg7417655

Thanks Bookbox,  Johns knowledge of London is far better than mine  ;D

Rosie

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 26 February 23 17:22 GMT (UK) »
It was indeed registered in Clerkenwell (sub-district Pentonville).

Father's residence is recorded as 1 Hayes Place Islington; and place of birth is recorded as 1 East Place, with no further indication of whereabouts in London this is.

They have registered a number of births in the wrong district ... I was just trying to think laterally to try to identify a possible circumstance for the birth.

The mother was admitted to the workhouse when she was two months pregnant, and is noted as pregnant in the admissions book, and then 4 days before the birth she discharged herself, went off and had the baby elsewhere, then returned ot teh workhouse with the baby.

She evidently didn't go home to her husband to have the baby ... so I'm trying to figure out what and where this 1 East Place address is.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 26 February 23 17:26 GMT (UK) »
We can discount 1 East Place in Lambeth and Clerkenwell then. 

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 26 February 23 17:43 GMT (UK) »
We can discount Lambeth ... but according to Jon's comments it IS the one in Clerkenwell ... which was in the Pentonville sub-district.

Edgar only ever seems to have lived in lodgings, and I'm figuring that with his wife and children in the workhouse for a long spell he took single-man's lodgings. These would not be a suitable place for his wife to have the baby so they had to find some place nearby that she could stay.

Probably as simple as that ... it's just a random unconnected address, which happened to be the place that said "yeah, we've got a stable with a manger if your wife needs somewhere to stay and have your baby" (well, probably not that exact answer ... but that's the gist of it).

Since so many workhouse babies seem to have died soon after being born, I'm glad she came out of the workhouse for this one. He's my great great grandfather, so my very existence depends upon his survival ...