Author Topic: iPad: Moving photos from All Albums  (Read 714 times)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
iPad: Moving photos from All Albums
« on: Sunday 26 February 23 22:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi.  I borrowed a photograph album from my brother.  I would like to take photographs of the old, family photos and then return the album to my brother.

Is it possible to take the photographs, using PhotoScan, and place them in a new album and then remove the photo from the main album?  When I tried to remove two of the photographs from the main album, they disappeared from the main album and the sub album.

If this is not possible, might there be a way to take photos of old family photographs and keep them somewhere on my iPad?  I would really like to be able to easily view family photos in one area.

Thank you for any suggestions.  Lisa
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Ray T

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: iPad: Moving photos from All Albums
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 February 23 22:42 GMT (UK) »
Not quite sure what you’ve been doing but if I wanted photographs on my iPad, I’d scan them on a desktop and email them to myself to pick up on the iPad.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 26 February 23 23:00 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, Ray T.   Scanning would be the easiest and fastest way (as I actually have three borrowed photo albums to look through and photo), but unfortunately, I do not have a computer/desktop at this time.

For several reasons, I am actually thinking of eventually purchasing another computer and printer/scanner.

Thank you for your suggestion; it seems like it is the best option at this time.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 27 February 23 12:24 GMT (UK) »
Can you not simply take a photo of the photo using the camera on your iPad, I have just this minute taken a photo of an old postcard using the rear camera on the iPad, the resulting picture is every bit as good as the original, it is now in photos ready to be put in a folder of your choice, or maybe I am not fully understanding what you are trying to do.

Mike

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 27 February 23 13:06 GMT (UK) »
If I've read your query correctly you want to take the photo on the ipad and then reorganise the files on the ipad . If so have a read at this Apple Support information (it gives instructions on how to do this)
https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/ipad/ipad05648b1a/ipados

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 27 February 23 18:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mike and Falkyrn, sorry for the confusing post.

My son (who enjoys photography) suggested using PhotoScan as it takes higher quality photos than using the camera on my iPad.  I’ve noticed that when I borrow my other son’s newish phone to take a couple of quick photographs, the photos are crisp and clear compared to when I take photos from my (several year old) iPad.

But my wish at the moment is to have the photos in just one album on my iPad. If I take a photograph of my grandfather’s photo with my iPad camera feature (or PhotoScan), I can put it in my iPad “Mum’s Photos” album that I created.  However, it is also in the main album.  I’m trying to avoid having the photos in two places on my iPad.

Falkyrn, I will check out the link now.  Thank you both so much for trying to help me.

Online Spelk

• RootsChat Senior
  • Pit Yacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 28 February 23 19:15 GMT (UK) »
Lisa, I might be wrong but I think that when you tell the iPad to put a photo in a special album "mum's photos" then the photos will look like they are now in two places but in actual fact the "mums photos" album does not contain any new copies of photos. The "mums photos" album actually just contains links to where in the big mess the real photos are.
So you are not moving the photos. Just giving them a tag of which albums you would like to view them in. And you could have the same photos in several albums but there is still only one actual copy.
When you remove a photo from an album it just removes a link.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 01 March 23 09:19 GMT (UK) »
Hmm, that sounds very possible, Spelk.  Thank you for bringing that point up.

Falkyrn, I did look at the link.  I didn’t realize that one could place folders within folders; that’s good to know.  But, unless I didn’t understand things, I think my wish to just have a folder with old family photos (with those photos only being in that one folder) cannot be done.

I’ve semi-wanted a computer again and I think I would have more options with a computer - I just have to figure out where I could set it up.

Thank all of you again.  It’s very kind of you to help me.  :)  Lisa

Online Spelk

• RootsChat Senior
  • Pit Yacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 01 March 23 12:56 GMT (UK) »
Lisa, you can hold photos in a folder which is held within the files section of your iPad. I have lots of photos on my iPad held this way. Note that you have to put the photos into the folder and then send the whole folder to the iPad. I do that by airdrop from my desktop Mac.
If you do not any proper computer you might be able to do it by email from a friend or by using some sort of cloud storage such as Dropbox as a means of transfer.
I do not know whether I could copy a photo from the general photos mess into a folder and then delete the original.