Author Topic: Skipton parish registers - original images  (Read 208 times)

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Skipton parish registers - original images
« on: Monday 27 February 23 00:03 GMT (UK) »
Hello can anyone please tell me if the original pages of the parish registers of Skipton in Craven are available online anywhere please?

I am particularly interested in the March 1655/6 marriage of John Dickinson and Elizabeth Parke.

If anyone can tell me where this may be available to see, I would be grateful.

Thank you,
Jon

Online goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Skipton parish registers - original images
« Reply #1 on: Monday 27 February 23 03:18 GMT (UK) »
Have you checked findmypast?

The first entry that comes up is from the Banns book,
Banns 15,22,29 of March 1655. Stated as all 'market days'.
This entry actually gives you more information than a usual entry in an actual marriage register.
It states that John was the son of Robert Dickinson of Halton, and Elizabeth Parke was daughter of Ephram Parke 'widdow' of Emsaye, 'all of the parish of Skipton'.
Then it states the marriage took place on April 1st. Witnesses 'Henery Kinge' and 'Thomas Johnson'.

Familysearch.org have the microfilms for Skipton, but they are locked and can't be viewed from home, or even at an 'affiliate library'. You would have to visit an LDS family history centre to view them.
Baptisms, marriages and burials 1653-1680 film no 100509221.

I doubt very much you would find any more information on the film than all that found in the register quoted above.

Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Skipton parish registers - original images
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 February 23 09:51 GMT (UK) »
Have you checked findmypast?

The first entry that comes up is from the Banns book,
Banns 15,22,29 of March 1655. Stated as all 'market days'.
This entry actually gives you more information than a usual entry in an actual marriage register.
It states that John was the son of Robert Dickinson of Halton, and Elizabeth Parke was daughter of Ephram Parke 'widdow' of Emsaye, 'all of the parish of Skipton'.
Then it states the marriage took place on April 1st. Witnesses 'Henery Kinge' and 'Thomas Johnson'.

Familysearch.org have the microfilms for Skipton, but they are locked and can't be viewed from home, or even at an 'affiliate library'. You would have to visit an LDS family history centre to view them.
Baptisms, marriages and burials 1653-1680 film no 100509221.

I doubt very much you would find any more information on the film than all that found in the register quoted above.

Thanks very much! For some reason I had searched on find my past and couldn't find it and now have just found it straight away 🤦‍♂️

Thank you cery nuch, it is here: https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=GBPRS%2FYORKSHIRE%2F13-0743_GB-YOR_PARISH-REGISTERS-N-PR-SKP-HT-1-3-1537-1900%2F00042&parentid=GBPRS%2FYORKSHIRE%2FBAN%2F300204753%2F2

I just wanted to see the original entry and was also interested in whether the witnesses actually signed the records at this time in the Commonwealth (they didn't). And now I can see it and know!

Thank you,
Jon