Author Topic: Marriage of Henry King before 1644 around Skipton, Yorkshire  (Read 631 times)

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marriage of Henry King before 1644 around Skipton, Yorkshire
« on: Monday 27 February 23 00:11 GMT (UK) »
Hello for about a decade I have been trying to find the marriage of Henry King around the Skipton in Craven area of Yorkshire.

He had a daughter Jane King baptised in Marton in Craven in 1644, then three sons baptised in Skipton; John King in 1647, Henry King in 1649 and William King in 1650. The latter baptisms show he lived at Embsay.

I wonder if anyone could please have a look with fresh eyes for a marriage, which I guess could have also taken place in Lancashire.

He joined the Quakers and died in 1680, but I am specifically interested in his life prior to joining the Quakers.

Thank you,
Jon

Offline bertflo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage of Henry King before 1644 around Skipton, Yorkshire
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 19 March 23 22:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi  Jon     re henry king 1649,     there is lots of info on him on the    wharfegen.org.         Family History,   if you explore the web site.     all around Embasay  Skipton   there are henry, william, and john family trees.. there is a henry king 1606-1626 too if that helps...   wharfgen.org is free to join with donation if desired.. Good luck with your search         Bert
Kitson Families mainly bradford--doncaster  all yorkshire areas

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 19 March 23 22:59 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much Bert. I started digging on the Kings ten years ago and much of what is out there came from my research! I have unfortunately never been able to work out who Henry married though. He may have had two wives, but I am hoping one day a marriage for him before 1644 turns up somewhere! Good luck with your own research and thank you again for looking. Best wishes, Jon

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 22 March 23 01:00 GMT (UK) »
 Hi Jon,

As the start of the English civil war started 1642, if Henry King, father of these sibling baptisms was some how part of the forces :- either the round heads or Charles 1 royal army. Then he could have been moving about the country. - Like many marriages of WW2 came about with married brides & grooms from different parts of the country only meeting by chance because of the war. Thus maybe widen your search for Henry's marriage

Just a thought.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 22 March 23 01:46 GMT (UK) »
It is definitely a good point you make for sure. I think maybe having had another look today that the marriage might be in the damaged Marton registers but need to check them out further. I don't know much about the civil war if I am honest. I know he was a farmer so wonder if farmers moved around less in those turbulent times?

Offline Brie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 22 March 23 10:05 GMT (UK) »
Just a thought and I expect you already know this but there are gaps in some parish registers during the Civil War and Commonwealth periods (1642-1660) so the marriage might not have been recorded.

Brie

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 22 March 23 17:16 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Brie. Yes a good point. I could be looking for something that doesn't exist!

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 25 March 23 01:43 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Brie. Yes a good point. I could be looking for something that doesn't exist!

With what Brie said and your last post could be right!

Quote from web page link below

" 1643 - Ejection of clergy refusing covenant of Protestation.

( from) 1644 - More parents names appear in baptism register. and each parish or chapelry in the country should provide a fair Register Book of Vellum wherein were to be recorded
the dates of baptisms as before, plus the dates of births and parents names. The regulation as to marriage entries remained unchanged.

1642-60 - During the Civil War registers were neglected and Bishop Transcripts were not required

.https://www.familysearch.org/en/wiki/History_of_Parish_Registers_in_England

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 25 March 23 01:46 GMT (UK) »

With what Brie said and your last post could be right!

Quote from web page link below

" 1643 - Ejection of clergy refusing covenant of Protestation.

1644 - More parents names appear in baptism register. and each parish or chapelry in the country should provide a fair Register Book of Vellum wherein were to be recorded
the dates of baptisms as before, plus the dates of births and parents names. The regulation as to marriage entries remained unchanged.

1642-60 - During the Civil War registers were neglected and Bishop Transcripts were not required

.https://www.familysearch.org/en/wiki/History_of_Parish_Registers_in_England

Thanks for this. I hadn't really thought of registers during this period being defective all the way up to the restoration of the monarchy in 1660, so that was interesting.