Author Topic: Diary Summary Week Ending Sunday 5th March 2023  (Read 2018 times)

Offline mare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Diary Summary Week Ending Sunday 5th March 2023
« on: Monday 27 February 23 05:17 GMT (UK) »
February so quickly drawing to a close with the new week and already another new month, still to catch up with family in north as roads have been further damaged with wild weather. They're due to come down to Auckland later in March for a medical appointment and hopefully travel will be a bit easier then if not before.

New tenants over the weekend in the empty rental house alongside us, has been vacant since October and former tenants are still staying with us in the 'granny flat' since Christmas. Census papers arrived last week for the 5 yearly stats and to be filled out on Tuesday 7th March. We had only 1 set delivered at first for our street number but as we have an 'a' at the number as well, another set arrived for the flat the next day, just left in the letterbox at the gate and no knocking at door as they used to and appropriate papers for number of people. Not sure if new tenants have picked up theirs yet as landlord hasn't reattached box to post since it was knocked over and there is mail addressed to him in it as well, rental sign is still up too. Haven't seen, only heard new folk and suspect they may be uni students perhaps, a bit of music and laughter Saturday night and all house lights on overnight, quiet Sunday and no cars there but several cars and laughter etc today Monday when we got home in afternoon, so quite noticeable in our fairly quiet surroundings.  2018 Census option was pushing for being done on line, not so much this time and think we will post ours back, talked our 'guests' through theirs as they will need to fill out the dwelling one and they seemed a bit unsure of the whole process and reason for doing it.

Have a good week all ….

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary Summary Week Ending Sunday 5th March 2023
« Reply #1 on: Monday 27 February 23 06:06 GMT (UK) »
Hello Mare,

We only got a census letter asking us to log on. No paper versions unless we order them using the online code from that letter.
I hope your family do get through to Auckland later.  I have been re reading the diaries of an ancestor who used to live at Te Kopuru (near Dargaville) they used to travel down to Auckland by catching a boat across the Kaipara Harbour to Helensville then getting the train.  Perhaps it is time to bring that back?!
Mind you I had occasion to go to Waiheke Island last week. There was a queue for the queue for that ferry, and it wasn’t even the weekend. At this rate one  wonders if it will get back to “normal” in our life times.
Yet another severe weather warning (thunderstorms) for our neck of the woods. Hoping it is fine enough to play golf tomorrow.  ;D

Offline mare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 February 23 10:28 GMT (UK) »
That's interesting mckha, it must be a massive task to get papers to every household and getting enough people to do it. I worked on one census late last century, lol, good friend had been an enumerator for several and was very efficient at it and asked if I would be interested in joining her team. It was really interesting, not in my own suburb and so not people I knew but did come across son of a friend who was living with his future wife and family among my papers but sworn to privacy of course anyway. Sadly that was friend's last time at the job with terminal illness soon after and i didn't apply again.

Yes, perhaps the sea route would see the north less cut off and possibly quicker with modern boats, it was pretty rugged by road back then and sailing the best option into Kaipara, Helensville, Onehunga and Waiuku as well on the tide.

All the best for a fair weather game tomorrow, last day of the summer that was!

Offline griffo99

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 27 February 23 19:31 GMT (UK) »
Greetings fellow kiwis! I can see actual sunshine and blue sky in my part of Auckland, couldn't be happier! Mare, I do hope travel to/from Northland becomes easier sooner rather than later, although some of the roadworks are major jobs that will take time and money. As for the census, I applied online to have paper forms sent out. I don't think they'll get the responses they want, there's way too much happening around the country, and I think it's quite arrogant to assume that everyone can log on to a computer, I'm sure there are many that don't even have access - older people, some in rural areas with poor connectivity, people with way more important things on their minds. I know it's a social obligation but sometimes life just gets in the way.

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 28 February 23 13:19 GMT (UK) »
Morning all
I was missing this thread somehow. Weather here can’t make its mind up what to do. Showers mean it’s not safe to hang the washing outside unfortunately.
Did anyone manage to see the Aurora Borealis? Too cloudy here I’m afraid but others managed it.
North East of England

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 28 February 23 21:14 GMT (UK) »
I didn't see it either Candleflame, too cloudy here too. There were pictures on TV that people had taken in Kent, I thought those of us in the North would stand a better chance but I suppose the skies must have been clearer in the South.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline mare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 01 March 23 11:50 GMT (UK) »
Solar storm just gave a spectacular display of Aurora Australis  as well ... either on my bucket list  :)

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/485026/solar-storm-lights-up-best-aurora-australis-in-years

They were seen as far as Auckland night before last, not by me unfortunately, an image I saw also showing bioluminescence on the water at the beach under the lights by same photographer in link.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/300446917/auckland-photographer-stuns-experts-captures-aurora-lights-from-local-beach

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 01 March 23 15:41 GMT (UK) »
I tried to glimpse the aurora B., but at 2.00 - 3.00, both nights ( okay, I couldn't get to sleep) the sky was too cloudy here in the Pennine edges.
TY
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 03 March 23 17:19 GMT (UK) »
I was having  a good week, went to the ceremony of the keys at the Tower of London,  really enjoyable day and I had a good day yesterday

Friday mornings for I would say over 25 years  i have  taken my neighbour shopping  at 8am, this morning, same procedure, this morning as I turned out into a roundabout another car hit me,  I initially had no idea where he came from, hit my left side just missing the passenger door, it was a very dangerous place to stop but I managed to park up and he , I thought it was going to be a hit and run ,  did park up,  was a very nice young man, swapped details and he admitted liability,  which according  to my insurance won't count  even though I had a witness,   my car is an 09 reg and I am worried they will write it off,  I will  beg to keep it to be honest, being an octogenarian I do not want to start buying a new car that I don't understand the workings of, I thought my Ford Fusion would be around as long as I.  BUT  none if us was injured and to be quite honest this is my first accident in 50 years  and I thought my friend and I coped with it very well.

That is my day

LM
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London