Author Topic: Diary Summary Week Ending Sunday 5th March 2023  (Read 2019 times)

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Diary Summary Week Ending Sunday 5th March 2023
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 04 March 23 10:56 GMT (UK) »
On the train home from visiting the Tower we got to the station where the sad  West Ham supports joined, they had lost their match, one passenger told me he had flown in from Toronto at 1pm that day and had gone to the match that night, not a sign of jet lag I suspect the excitement of the match got him through it, he was here for 3 weeks and had got more matches to go to,  all London based, he told us about the winters you have but people in the main are able to get about,  not like us in England, a few inches and everything stops .

Diane, I hope your son feels better soon,

I am getting the third degree from my husband who thought I had hit the other car, how dare he??

Got the job today of filling out claims forms online,  what a chore

Enjoy your weekend folks and many thanks for your support

LM
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 04 March 23 11:03 GMT (UK) »
Years back we had a similar experience, woman in large Mitshubishi drove into us as she tried to come across us as we were exiting the roundabout - she was in the wrong lane, rammed us into some railings. Nasty.
She didn't say much at the scene, but later that evening a large and intimidating young man came round, saying there was nothing to say she was at fault, and she was "with the council"?!!! (I think she was his mum?) and what were we going to do about it?
I took photos of the lane markings approaching the roundabout, and the site generally, showing the lane markings etc. We were totally in the right, but we and the car were very bruised!
Don't let the incident force you to stop driving, L.M., and don't feel intimidated.
Our best wishes,
TY
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 04 March 23 11:20 GMT (UK) »
TY
The lad, i would say in his early 20' s  was  very polite, he came to my car after I had   been to his, he was a very polite lad, he asked twice if we were OK, can't fault his manners, I did wonder if it was his father's car or a company car, do have some sympathy with him to be honest but it was his fault as he admitted but that won't stand up

I must try to go for a drive later.

Take care
LM

Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 04 March 23 14:33 GMT (UK) »
On the train home from visiting the Tower we got to the station where the sad  West Ham supports joined, they had lost their match, one passenger told me he had flown in from Toronto at 1pm that day and had gone to the match that night, not a sign of jet lag I suspect the excitement of the match got him through it, he was here for 3 weeks and had got more matches to go to,  all London based, he told us about the winters you have but people in the main are able to get about,  not like us in England, a few inches and everything stops .

Diane, I hope your son feels better soon,

I am getting the third degree from my husband who thought I had hit the other car, how dare he??

Got the job today of filling out claims forms online,  what a chore

Enjoy your weekend folks and many thanks for your support

LM

Well, if your football fan was from Toronto, the winters there are fairly mild.  There was a long-standing joke about a storm years ago where their mayor called in the army to help clear the snow!
Things do get cleared up quickly, the RC church on the corner has very efficient snow plowers come, and were out clearning their parking lots (school and church, both large lots) before 5 a.m.  The city plows, on the other hand, have not come down our street yet (during the week they would, because of the school).
We didn't get as much as predicted but very heavy and sticky.  The dog had trouble moving through it at the crack of dawn (literally, it is getting light now at 6:30).
Thank you for thoughts about my son, he is getting better, hopefully no relapse or long covid.  Baby wasn't very sick, but very congested, his partner still feeling lousy.

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 04 March 23 17:57 GMT (UK) »
LM so sorry to hear about your experience with the car. Take care.
North East of England

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 04 March 23 18:07 GMT (UK) »
I drove to a super market and my husband drove back on the same route I used yesterday, he was in the exact position  I used yesterday so I am sure I did nothing wrong .

LM

Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 05 March 23 11:00 GMT (UK) »
That was a good thing, at least you won’t doubt yourself .

We never doubted you!

Quite a bright morning but cold.
Did not shop yesterday ,son was back from head office and had driven for seven hours on Friday so slept in and au thought “ Yippee ,I can do my own thing ,call in at Church for a coffee, look in charity shops just for a nosey ,get my shopping and back home.
Oh no!
Stood at the bus stop for 30 mins for a 20 minute service ,Nothing coming my way and the other direction traffic at absolute stand still .
I could have walked to town but how would I get back !
Traffic at a standstill in the direction home .Son would have been caught up in it too, so I came back home,altered my plans re evening meal , took bread out of the freezer and a nice quiet day.
Had no first class stamps ,friend’s birthday on Weds - think she is 89,lives in the lovely Gower Peninsular .I will slip to Morrison’s today( traffic allowing,I can walk down easily but uphill all the way home !) but email her anyway as
it won’t be collected until tomorrow and might not get there for Wednesday even first class.
No chance of getting to church these days ,but my son works all day and evenings in the week ,so needs a break at weekends.
Time zones overlap and it might be Monday somewhere or still Saturday !

No news really , time for a cuppa.
Cheerio. Look after yourselves and thanks for the news, it might not be terribly exciting but that can be a blessing!
Viktoria.

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 05 March 23 19:00 GMT (UK) »
Viktoria does your church have a transport rota for collecting folk who can't get to church without transport - sometimes because the bus services don't now run at the right time? Might be worth asking if that's a possibility.
North East of England

Offline mare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 05 March 23 20:12 GMT (UK) »
LM … have been wondering how you were doing
Having been to London 'to visit the King'
Good to hear what you did there
Frightening to come back to a roundabout scare!

Just a quick search to see the verse of the pussycat was from 1805, in George III time, so perhaps the little mouse was under his wife's chair … :) no matter, thankful your incident was injury free and more of a concern of the fate of your car, and dealing with that bit of third degree at home maybe and the forms, but of course the whole inconvenience of it when these things happen.

Speaking of the King, during the week a news item re some restoration and history of the Coronation chair with the occasion 2 months away now.

Any congestion in a small baby makes a mum feel a bit helpless and sorry the new mum is feeling so poorly herself still with the virus, Diana and hope that is all behind them soon.

Nature has thrown a few wobblies with extremes globally and those suffering from disasters and extreme conditions, help going to Vanuatu having borne the brunt of 2 cyclones and an earthquake this past week! 

Have had the light of the new day for a couple of hours now and sunshine streaming in window … and tasks awaiting!