Author Topic: Chapelry of Ronsby 1787  (Read 174 times)

Offline dave1948

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Chapelry of Ronsby 1787
« on: Monday 27 February 23 08:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I have found a Baptism of John Hutton in 1787 at Moorside.  Other entries on the page refer to Scaling, and another 'from the Parish of Danby'.

The heading of the page states 'A true copy of Births and Funerals in the Chapelery of Ronsby in the year 1787'. 

Can anyone define more about this Chapelry of Ronsby as I can not find anything about it, but is in the area I am researching.

Thanks,  Dave.
Newall, Godfrey, Maskell (Essex)
Hugill, (Yorkshire)
McCutcheon, Maclachlin(Ayrshire)

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Chapelry of Ronsby 1787
« Reply #1 on: Monday 27 February 23 11:10 GMT (UK) »
I think that the page heading refers to Roxby?

From GenUKI:
"ROXBY, in the parish of Hinderwell, wapentake and liberty of Langbargh; 2 miles W. of Hinderwell, 11 miles ENE. of Guisborough. There is here a small Chapel of Ease to the Parish Church of Hinderwell. Pop. 236."

https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS/NRY/Hinderwell/more
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Chapelry of Ronsby 1787
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 February 23 11:34 GMT (UK) »
From Wikipedia:

Roxby (formerly Rousby) is a village and civil parish in the Scarborough district of North Yorkshire, England. It is located near Staithes.

Roxby was historically a township in the parish of Hinderwell in the North Riding of Yorkshire. It became a separate civil parish in 1866.

St Nicholas's Parish Church was built in the 17th century on the site of an earlier church.

Also:
Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: ROWSBY.     Church dedication: CHAPEL.

Langbarugh liberty, E.D. -Population, vide Hinderwell ; Chapel-room, 170 *2; Net value, vide Hinderwell.

The Chapel was founded and endowed by the Boynton family, in the reign of Henry V.

Patron, vide Hinderwell.

Not valued in 1818.

10th September 1818, a faculty was granted to take down and rebuild the Chapel.

No return as to glebe house.

The Register Books, for baptisms and burials commence in 1758 ; previous to that year the entries were made at Hinderwell. Marriages are not solemnized in this Chapel, but take place at Hinderwell.

Parochial Charities. -No return.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)