Author Topic: Scanning advice on bit depth setting (8 or 16 bit?)  (Read 231 times)

Offline miked11

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Scanning advice on bit depth setting (8 or 16 bit?)
« on: Monday 27 February 23 12:57 GMT (UK) »
Hello everyone, This is a technical question about scanning but here does seem the best place to post it.  Apologies if it should be somewhere else.  I've read through Cazza's document on scanning and am wondering about bit depth setting as it isn't mentioned in the document.  Here's my thoughts:
Setting 16 bit depth will double the file size, but increase colour accuracy.
Setting 8 bit depth will give smaller file sizes possibly allowing me to edge up the pixel density for an acceptable file size (acceptable file size would be something that I can edit, having multiple layers open at a time without running out of memory).  I vary the resolution depending on the size of the photo and the size of the faces in it.
I can't see any difference between images scanned with 8 / 16 bit depth so I prioritise pixel resolution over colour accuracy as my computer scanner / monitor don't have any colour calibration and I've been using 8 bit depth.  Most of the photos I'm scanning are black & white or colour but printed 30 or 40 years ago and the colour representation on them isn't good anyway so I don't believe I'm losing anything.  I'm assuming that years down the line, when we have  lots more computer memory, it'll be simple to convert 32bit images to 64bit.
Is my understanding correct?  Should I carry on with my existing settings or is there something that I haven't considered?

Offline loord74

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Scanning advice on bit depth setting (8 or 16 bit?)
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 28 February 23 08:52 GMT (UK) »
simply use (8 bit) depth which easier for editing later, use 300 dpi resolution as standard, increase the resolution in case that there is damage in photo and you are planing o restore it with photo editing software , always crop the scanned area so you will scan the photo only.

Offline davidgp

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Scanning advice on bit depth setting (8 or 16 bit?)
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 28 February 23 09:34 GMT (UK) »
If you do not intend to edit or manipulate the images digitally then 8-bit would suffice - I'd be aiming for at least 600ppi scanning resolution as this allows some degree of enlargement. If you do intend to edit the pictures in Photoshop it is common practice to use 16-bit scanning to give you latitude. Better highlight recovery or shadow detail for instance. Output files for printing or publishing would be downsampled to 8-bit. The 'going from 32-bit to 64-bit' you mention would do nothing other than pad the file with zeros. You can't get out what you didn't scan in.