Author Topic: Samuel Poole (again) ! Was he the miller of Hewish Mill, Crewkerne?  (Read 175 times)

Offline teragram31510

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Samuel Poole (again) ! Was he the miller of Hewish Mill, Crewkerne?
« on: Monday 27 February 23 14:05 GMT (UK) »
I'm still trying to find out what happened to my gggg uncle Samuel Poole. As I have said in earlier threads, all I definitely know about him is that he was baptised in Seavington St Michael, Somerset in 1777, the 10th child of Thomas and Honour Poole (a yeoman family). [He is not the Samuel Poole that died in Middx in 1854 according to innumerable A****try trees - 1851 census clearly shows that one was born in Middx.] 

Relatively recently I found references in the London Gazette of 1802 to a Samuel Poole who became bankrupt in 1802. In other newspapers including the Manchester Mercury of 04 May 1802 there was the announcement as follows:

Samuel Poole, now or late of Hewish Mills, within the parish of Crewkerne, in the county of Somerset, miller, to appear April 23, 24 at the George Inn, in Ilminster, and May 23 at the Castle Inn, in Taunton. Attorney, Mr Philip Warren, in Ilminster.

Is there any way of finding the result of any judgement? Would he have been imprisoned for bankruptcy? Does any further report state his age? (He'd have been 25 in 1802). It's just that Crewkerne is very close to his home village - and his older brother was a miller, so Samuel might have followed suit, for want of family land farmed by other brothers.

Any ideas gratefully received !

Somerset: Poole, Hutchings/Hutchin(s), Harvey/Harvie, Bullen