Author Topic: Cousins - Mothers identical twins  (Read 238 times)

Offline auntynet

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Cousins - Mothers identical twins
« on: Monday 27 February 23 15:49 GMT (UK) »
Good afternoon

My male cousin would like to take aDNA test.  As said our mothers were identical twins.  I know who our maternal Grandmother is after many years of research, ie paper trail, and luckily finding our Grandmother had a child 5 years before the twins (different father) , and I found 2 cousins from that child's marriage who confirmed the story of twins.

We have photo's now of our Grandmother, and I have a good paper trail for her, so I am able to trace that line back to our Grt grandparents and slightly further so have a good idea of where they came from, London, Middlesex, Buckinghamshire and Ireland.   My cousins and I will show differences in DNA, as my father was from Scotland, and his was from Suffolk.

We know nothing about our Mother's Father, as on the twins BC it is blank for father.  I haven't been able to find any evidence, although with the 1921 census the twins are in a different workhouse  to the one they were born in , in London.  I researched the workhouse where they were born at LMA but they had little records for that period 1920, but this new workhouse has more records for that period, so looks like a trip to LMA again.

My cousins Grandson recently had a DNA test which showed German/Jewish.

My cousin has asked me to help with the DNA.   I know very little about testing, even though I have tried researching about it, but I think I will be guiding him towards one or 2 of the well known sites.  I presume it will be an autosomal test, but if we wanted to go further later which test would be more specific for our own mothers father.  I do know about the y-dna & M-dna, but still a little confused.

Thank you for reading, and if anyone could help explaining that would be appreciated.

London
Mack, Rackley
Scotland Fife
Johnston, Niven, Thomson, Laing, Burt, Mitchell, Ritchie, Hynd

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
Re: Cousins - Mothers identical twins
« Reply #1 on: Monday 27 February 23 18:53 GMT (UK) »
I'm assuming you are female but it wouldn't make a difference if you both want answers  through your mother's line

I have quite a lot of experience of DNA results on ancestry and you can download to get Gedmatch

My nephew has just tested .so I now have tests from 3 generations  leading to 2 past generations ( nephew/ me + cousins/my mother /  leading to
my mum's mum's birth father who was Jewish
So if either of you test on ancestry come back to me with Q's

Out of interest what percentage of German Jewish does your cousins grandson have ?
+ Is it from your side
My  mother has exactly 25 percent which is expected from 1 grandparents
My cousins and 1  from 3differnt  sisters have + 14 percent ( 14 & 10 ) average for 1 great grandparent
+ My nephew has 4 percent  from great great gf

My mums second cousin from her father's sister is 98 percent European Jewish as are many of our matches from that side which helps know exactly which side we match thru even if we can't always work out the person

As you have a location and a year you may be able to locate a potential  Jewish man living or working  in the area when the twins were conceived
Can you look at surnames on electoral rolls
Where your grandmother was living at that time

Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson