Author Topic: DOUGLAS ARNOLD 29.10.25 - Llantwit Fardre - The Cottage Homes  (Read 213 times)

Offline purplekatsun

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
DOUGLAS ARNOLD 29.10.25 - Llantwit Fardre - The Cottage Homes
« on: Tuesday 28 February 23 15:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I wonder if anyone can help. I am looking for any information on a DOUGLAS ARNOLD (mother Bessie Arnold) and a JOHN THOMAS (of 12 Station Terrace) Llantwit Fardre. My dad was born in 1925 at 4 Station Terrace, Llantwit Fadre.  He was put into The Cottage Children's home sometime between 1925 and the following few years - I would like to find the admission records of the home - do you know if these exist?  Also would he show up on the 1931 census as being at the home (if he was) even though only 6 years old?  Lastly I know he was adopted from the home - I would like to find the adoption records from the home - would these be accessible too?  Many thanks in advance.

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: DOUGLAS ARNOLD 29.10.25 - Llantwit Fardre - The Cottage Homes
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 28 February 23 15:46 GMT (UK) »
Can’t help with the cottage homes records sorry, but the 1931 census was destroyed during the blitz (and wouldn’t be published until 2031/32 even if it had survived). Technically though, everyone was included on the censuses.
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline purplekatsun

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 28 February 23 15:49 GMT (UK) »
Ah ok - thanks for this  :) I am new to it.  I thought the records were available even though not 100 years passed - but that if the person was still alive their information would be blacked out?  I know there was a 1939 register that was established for the war and this is the case with that.

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 28 February 23 15:51 GMT (UK) »
Yes as it was used by the NHS until the 1980s. The census info is fully open but only published after 100 years (the 1921 census was released last January)
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline purplekatsun

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 28 February 23 15:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi sorry for my ignorance - what was used by the NHS?  Are there other registers that are accessible other than the 1939 one?

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 28 February 23 15:54 GMT (UK) »
Sorry to ask but has he died? We are not allowed to search for living people.

If so, is that his registered or adopted name?

Online Cas (stallc)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 28 February 23 15:54 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat

Pontypridd Poor Law Union, Public Assistance Institutions and Cottage Homes, records are available at Glamorgan Archives. Fee would apply.

https://glamarchives.gov.uk/contact/

http://calmview.cardiff.gov.uk/Record.aspx?src=CalmView.Catalog&id=UPP

As mentioned the 1931 census for England & Wales were destroyed in a fire in 1942

Cas

Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Squire/Thomas/Davies/Gibbons/Mordecai/Bowen/Lewis/Rees/Williams/Jones/Llewellyn/Morgan - Glamorgan
Lewis - Breckonshire
Davies/Roderick - Myddfai Carms
Lloyd/Jones - Denbigh/Salop
Thackwell/Thomas - Hereford/Monmouthshire
Shoemac/Squire/Keirle/Small - Somerset
Berry/Baggot/Lee/Clayton - Lancs
Yelland/Bray/Trethewey - Cornwall
Baggot/Hurley/Keaveny/Shiel/Flynn - Ireland

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 28 February 23 15:55 GMT (UK) »
The 1939 register is blacked out as it was 'released early'. 

Is his birth certificate marked as 'Adopted'
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 28 February 23 15:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi sorry for my ignorance - what was used by the NHS?  Are there other registers that are accessible other than the 1939 one?

The 1939 register. It’s why girls unmarried at the time have their married names added (in the majority of cases)