Author Topic: Sarah Searle? born around 1765  (Read 233 times)

Offline bethanyyd96

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Sarah Searle? born around 1765
« on: Tuesday 28 February 23 21:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone hoping I could get help with this brick wall that I haven't been able to get past for a few years.

My 6th great grandmother is Sarah Searle? (or variant of surname) who was born around 1765 (estimated from burial record). She married Robert Chittleburgh in 1792 in Topcroft.

Her children's baptism records list her surname as both Searle and Scarlett.

Her marriage banns to Robert have her name as Hannah (and what looks like Scarle). Hannah is then crossed out and Sarah written in the margin. I know her first born daughter was named Hannah so maybe Hannah is a close relative of hers, maybe mother?  It's also the earliest I've seen the name Hannah in that branch of the tree.

I can't find a possible baptism for Sarah under any of the surname variants and I've looked at surrounding counties too. Because of this maybe she was born under her mother's maiden name but without even a definite surname to go on I can't research any further.

Any help is appreciated  :)

Bolingbroke (Norfolk & Suffolk) Chittleburgh (Yorkshire & Norfolk) Dawson (Essex & Hertfordshire) Donkin (Newcastle & Durham) Gregg (Lancashire & Cumbria) Johnson (Lancashire) Spalding (Norfolk) Stannard - (Essex & Norfolk)

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah Searle? born around 1765
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 28 February 23 21:37 GMT (UK) »
From FreeReg:
St Margaret Parish Register Topcroft Norfolk . 112
Marriage: 10 Apr 1792
Groom: Robert Chittleburgh . Bachelor
Bride: Sarah Scarle . Spinster
Witnesses: Robert Chittleburgh . John Wigg
Notes: By Banns . both Made Their Mark . Robert Junior

Added:
When the notes say Robert Junior, it would seem her father was Robert:
Also from FreeReg:
All Saints Parish Register Hackford (Eynesford) Norfolk
Birth: 22 May 1769 . Baptism: 24 May 1769
Sarah Scurll . Female
Parents: Robt. and Sarah Scurll
It is the closest I can find.

Offline bethanyyd96

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 28 February 23 22:04 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your reply. Yes that's their marriage and Robert's father was also called Robert.

I have seen that baptism at Hackford but can't say for sure that's the Sarah I'm looking for.
Bolingbroke (Norfolk & Suffolk) Chittleburgh (Yorkshire & Norfolk) Dawson (Essex & Hertfordshire) Donkin (Newcastle & Durham) Gregg (Lancashire & Cumbria) Johnson (Lancashire) Spalding (Norfolk) Stannard - (Essex & Norfolk)

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 28 February 23 22:08 GMT (UK) »
There are other Scarles that seem to be brothers and sisters. I will look for baptisms/marriages